Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website hosting advice

Options
  • 06-06-2002 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I work for a company in town as a network admin, our web page is hosted by a 3rd party company and i was wondering what is involved in hosting the page myself here.

I have no expierience in web page design/hosting but i would like to learn a little.

We have a dedicated 512 line and i have a spare server and i can get my hands on most software, so what needs to be done ? I know this is probably an annoyingly easy question for alot of you but i have to start somewhere.

Once i have the webpage physically on the server, how do i make it live , how is DNS etc looked after ? We have a domain name but the 3rd party company looks after it , how do i transfer it ???

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Two quickies:

1) Linux or Windows
    2) What is your a) current usage on the 512 and b) current website traffic

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

i have recently upgraded the network to win2k, not sure what the usage is but according to the router our txload is 6/255 and ou rxload is 125/255, our webpage dosnt get many hits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We have a dedicated 512 line and i have a spare server and i can get my hands on most software, so what needs to be done ?

If you're willing to trust Microsoft, set up IIS. (With respect to Microsoft, you should think very carefully about this -- even a default install of modern Linux OS's would likely be more secure than Windows.) If you're not, install a Linux OS on it - I recommend Red Hat 7.2 - with a server-class install. Everything you need will be available - in fact too much, you'll need to switch some stuff off. Next, install a firewall on the machine, or put a firewall in front of it.

Once i have the webpage physically on the server, how do i make it live , how is DNS etc looked after ? We have a domain name but the 3rd party company looks after it , how do i transfer it ???

You'll need to transfer your domain to someone that will either manage it for you, or point the nameservers at a freebie service like Granite Canyon (Google). Esay DNS is one of the better ones (again, Google), or a few people in Ireland (*koff* like meself (or probably Steve for that mattter)) will do it for you. When you get that sorted, an A record for the domain (and www) just needs to be pointed at your IP address. You'll also need to think about your mail service.

HTH,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What Adam said - also, if you go the MS route, you will NEED a firewall - ideally a hardware solution, but software will do, and get the IIS Lockdown tool (get it here - http://cobaltupdate.hosting365.ie/microsoft/iislockd.exe ) which will protect your Windows box from most of the standard exploits.

Otherwise, make sure the box is patched up to the hilt, and keep it that way,

HTH, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

There is some good info on securing a Win2k server in this thread about half way down the page!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Even if your using a linux server still get a firewall. Its always better to have one.

IIS has built in DNS software and just aboot everything you need to get a web server running. Thought as they say, Its dodgey with microsoft :D

I run win2000 server, but on my PC for i need IIS.

Advertisement