Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to build a computer, what do I need?

• 31-07-2001 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Is it cheaper to buy all the parts for a computer and get it built? If so what do I need to buy.

Shell, Ram, Hard Drive, Cd/Dvd, Mother Board, CPU, Mouse/Keyboard, Speakers, Graphics Card, and anything else?

Where would I go to get it built? And is it cheaper to buy the parts over the internet or in a local shop.

Any advice would be of great help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

www.scan.co.uk , check out their today only section.

I got a mbd + cpu from them in 4 days prices are good but in sterling, cleck it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

scan prices arent as great as people make they out to be, you have to remember the today only section doesnt include vat, or shiping,

and your chance of getting your product are no great compared with other retailers,

now you need a fan+heatsink, monitor, as well as what you have there,
    thats the easy part, deciding what to get is hard,

intel or amd, ddr or sdram, raid or no raid, geforce 3 or geforce gts2....

then you have speed and makes of each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

well my friend, i too am in the league of computer building. check out www.overclockers.co.uk for competitive prices

and to build it go to

www.buildingpcs.com/ tells you everything from hardware selection tips to an online graphical step by step building process

[This message has been edited by Neil3030 (edited 31-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Soundcard might help. And a monitor, if you like looking at the pretty pictures.

Build it yourself; if you want to get a cheaper job, honestly the big companies have economies of scale that make buying parts and then paying someone to put them together a bad idea. So either buy the parts and then put them together yourself, or buy a ready-built from Dell or someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye scan arent gr8 they have let me down a lot of times . so im not buying off them any more .

but u need a brain 1 hand ( 2 is better but not needed ) and some time and money .

now for the real list
    cpu
    heatsink and fan
    m.board ( this will come with cable u need for flopy drive etc..)
    case
    cd rom/dvd/cdrw
    ram
    sound card
    screen
    mouse
    modem
    keyboard
    think thats about all the usuals

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Dont forget

HDD
    Floppy
    Speakers
    Ensure Case has PSU (About 300W)
    IDE Cables
    Floppy Cable
    Graphics Card
    Power Cable for Case

www.dabs.com are good as well. very reliable. Price wise, you may pay more, but get a better product if you build it yourself.

ye 4got the hdd but u dont need a fdd and the m.board will come with the cables . and the case will come with power cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

not all cases come with cables, and not all mobos either, they are things to be sure about. Pain you have it built without the cable (always rob one from the kettle/other puter thought wink.gif)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

hey whats up , if you want

3 chips of 256mb SD-RAM pc133 or 3 of Pc100 compliant E-mail me,

£150 quid the lot i'll pay postage

thats a bit steep considering i got pc133 256 meg single chip for £40

• Advertisement
Advertisement