Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Cabinet Minister for Communications

Options
  • 06-06-2002 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Dermot Aherne - who was quite good as Minister for Social Community and Family Affairs has just been named as Minister for Communications.
    This should be good
    1. Communications is the main role of his Ministry (he also has natural resources but that should not take too much of his time)
    2. He is senior (possible future party leader) so should exercise clout at cabinet.

What about a statment of congratulations from the committee welcoming the recognition of a full cabinet role and listing agenda items for him to discuss?

Confusingly, Marh Hanifin who is the new Chief Whip and Junior Minister in Taoiseach's also has responsibility for the Information Society. I wonder which of them will be doing what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

We will indeed be dropping both a congratulatory note, and look foward to meeting them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Dermot Aherne - who was quite good as Minister for Social Community and Family Affairs has just been named as Minister for Communications.

The new department is "Communications and Natural Resources" which seems to mean DOPE without the transport section, i.e. Comms, Energy and Natural Resouces (mining, peat and gas & oil).

This means he will still have responsibility for the deregulation of the Electricity and Gas markets and the potential privatisation of the ESB and Bord Gáis, which will be important in the lifetime of this Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Dermot Ahern is not Bertie's brother nor any realtion fro that matter.

Noel Ahern, of Dublin North-West, is Bertie's brother, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

We will indeed be dropping both a congratulatory note, and look foward to meeting them in the future.

Send a 'well done' card ...
    works for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

He does have energy as well but that is relatively easy to handle (remember Joe Jacob?)
    More significantly he is also responsible for the Marine - but there will probably be a dedicated junior minister handling that area - particulalrly given the outcry from the fishermen this morning!
    A real test of how serious the prioritisation of Communications will be whether or not the top civil servant in Public Enterprise -Brendan Tuohy - stays with communications or goes off to transport - my bet is he will stay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    Send a 'well done' card ... works for me :D
    How about a "get well soon" card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

He is also the Minister of Fish and the rest of the marine

fits well with Telecoms regulation, another fishy business

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

fits well with Telecoms regulation, another fishy business

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Karlin Lillington has written on Mary Hanafin's role as E-Minister, its up at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54242

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

There's a Junior Minister for the Marine.

BTBB

• Advertisement
Advertisement