Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help with Firewire

• 02-08-2001 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Ok, the auld fella wants videos transferred from the digital camcorder to the computer. Got the software, and bought a 1394 Firewire card a few days later, only problem is Windows 98 SE wont recognise it as even existing, although the one page "manual" for the card states it should.

Manufacturer of card : INTEK 21
    Other info: Card is installed on lowest port on the tower comp (Dell)

Not much to go but if anyone knows anything about firewires could you post anything that may seem useful, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

is it recognised in the bios?
    i presume its pci.
    how many pci slots do you have.
    as far as i remember vaguely, theres something about the lowest pci slot being used only for daughter cards for sound or graphics cards or something. not too sure though.
    how old is the pc?
    have you checked the site for patches?
    the actual firewire bit shouldnt be an issue, as its just another transfer means like scsi or usb, so i *suspect* the problem may be in configuring the card in the bios?
    of course, if it comes up fine and proper in the bios, then your problem will be OS. have you checked the hardware list for 98 to see if tis compatable?
    like i said you may need a patch to make it compatable the same way 95 needed to be patched to allow usb. or was it 98 first edition...ohh so long ago, and my memory is ohh so dim..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

one other small point to make is, that just because windows98 doesnt see the card doesnt mean that you cant install the drivers for it. This happens with some hardware that the os doesnt see it, until the drivers are installed.

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by flamegrill:
    one other small point to make is, that just because windows98 doesnt see the card doesnt mean that you cant install the drivers for it. This happens with some hardware that the os doesnt see it, until the drivers are installed.

hope this helps
    </font>

true. very true.
    it might not be a plug and play card and therefore it wont install automatically. well, some of them dont anyway.
    i installed a pci ide card the other day and it didnt bother to install it. mind you, when i looked in explorer, my extra hard drive was there, so im a bit confused about the whole issue. ive never installed or used any firewire controllers or peripherals so i wouldnt know. maybe you have to install the actual peripheral like you would in usb and then it will work.
    interesting....

Advertisement