Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Etiquette for Men"

Options
  • 06-06-2002 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of years ago my Granny gave me a book for Christmas. It is a really old sun-tanned hardback second edition from 1929! It is called Etiquette for Men - A book of Modern Manners and Customs. She gave my sister the "Etiquette for Women" too but I didn't get the chance to read it.

Every once in a while I pull it out for a chuckle, but it does also offer some good advice on etiquette as amazingly some common decencies are timeless. A lot of content in this book seems out-dated but try to see the core values of what the author G.R.M. Devereux is getting at!

"Etiquette is designed simply to assist in the smooth-running of our everyday affairs, friendships, and social functions. For this reason a good knowledge of its rules materially assists any man who desires social happiness and success."

Chapter I - Everyday Etiquette.

Consideration for others at all times is the keynote of etiquette. It is therefore during our ordinary, everyday affairs in particular that we show whether or not we possess the spirit of true courtesy.
    The man who appreciates the spirit as well as the letter of etiquette does not reserve his best manners for special occasions, or for particular individuals.
    You may know that you are doing the right thing at all times when offering little courtesies to others, especially to ladies, whether you know them or not. You should be ready to vacate your seat in a crowded vehicle, not only for a lady, but also for an elderly man.
    When travelling with a lady, you should allow her to preccede you on to the vehicle. You should leave the vehicle first, however, so that you may assist her to alight. should your companion begiven a seat by another man, be ready to offer a word of thanks.
    Do not seat yourself in a vehicle so that you occupy more than the allotted space, refrain from staring at the passengers seated opposite, and do not read another man's paper.

more to come if you like this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I recommend an updated edition.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Should be required reading in schools these days....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

wh00t, just heard a big old yarn on the radio about this the other day, some funny stuff happening here........... www.etiquettehell.com

The groom Body-Slammed the bride into the wedding cake :eek:
    WWF NE1? A swift divorce ensued.

He was so drunk after his bachelor's party he threw up and passed out on the aisle............LOL :D:D:D

One of the brides insisted all the brides maids were extremely obese and wore tight dresses (*shudders) when one of the brides maids fell sick and a close friend offered to replace her she said "Oh No, you won't do at all, don't you get it, I want to look good" (how cruel can ya get!) | it all back fired on her and everyone ended up staring in disgust at the brides maids, one of them left crying. :mad:

APPARENTLY all the stories are true and researched from accounts of people who were present on each occasion or had video tapes etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

hehe, oh dear...
    At my niece's wedding, her mother, my sister-in-law, gave a very lengthy toast, beginning with "While you are not the man we would have chosen for our daughter..." Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I'm sure the people of the 1920's would be spinning in their graves, with gravestones above their heads saying "for proper etiquette please do not stand on grave". Anywho last year I was working in a hotel and had become accustomed to calling the guests Sir and Madam as one should, however I find nowadays I'm calling everyone Sir and Madam, I even say it to people in shops when I'm buying things, it's driving me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by DeVore
    Should be required reading in schools these days....

DeV.

Seconded. While I'm no saint, some of these old rules are just common sense, which a lot of people nowadays lack :(

Advertisement