Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monarchy or Republic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by seedot
    But me, I'm a citizen - proud and loud. And I take great delight in reminding brits of various hues, Canadians, south africans etc. that they are still subjects. And it's a good thing to have a revolution.

I don't know why you take great delight in this - they are citizens not subjects.

People with UK passports are now British Citizens! This has been the case since the early eighties.

South Africa is a republic, it has a president, and its citizens are South African citizens. They are not British Citizens or British Subjects!

Neither are Canadian Citizens British either! It so happens that the Queen of Canada is also the Queen of the United Kingdom but Candians are no more British than Bertie Ahern.

Just because the head of state of a particular country is QEII doesn't mean that the citizens are British. Certainly they aren't if the country is a Republic that is a commonwealth member.

And lets not forget that the Royal Family makes a profit - they give more to the British taxpayer than they take from it. A fact very few seem to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

?

Advertisement