Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COBOL[ocks]

Options
  • 07-06-2002 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

A gener thread i suppose to bitch about how bad COBOL is, and anything COBOL releated.

I had the misfortune to do COBOL for the last year in College - yes there is still colleges in Ireland that lecture COBOL :-/

Well Leave you with the thought :

COBOL & FORTRON are to programming as mustard & Ketchup are to cake!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Apparently, COBOL is still being used, but mainly for maintaining old software.
    Companies still need COBOL programmers...in fact a few companies that settled here in Ireland had to get the COBOL programmers from other countries like China and South Africa.
    You can download PowerCOBOL from fujitsu, its sorta like Visual Basic i think, paint shop pro interface.Select your boxes, drop down menus..etc
    Point, click and drag, insert your code.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A lot of the dislike of COBOL is nothing but snobbery, IMHO.

Yes, it is not the neatest, coolest language on the planet. On the other hand, it is one of the hardest languages to write obfuscated code in - and believe it or not but this is an incredibly massive advantage when it comes to writing real software for real businesses.

IMHO, the worst thing to happen to COBOL was the introduction of things like OOCOBOL and Visual COBOL. Here, the language is being "shoe-horned" to do something which it is patently not suited for.

On the other hand, if you look at the processing someone like a bank does on their mainframes nightly - COBOL is pretty much perfect for the task. Easy to write, easy to maintain, and actually very fast for what it was designed to do.

You can s****** and laugh at it all you want, but the simple fact is that it has its uses.

I've written in COBOL. And PL/1.

People thought VB was innovative, but Telon had been doing almost exactly the same thing on mainframes for over 10 years. Telon, incidentally, is a "COBOL generator" where you painted your forms, and then inserted "custom" COBOL at specific points...which correspond almost exactly to today's event-driven models.

Laugh at COBOL all you like. I'll happily take an exorbitant salary to code in it once its unpopular enough to make consultants very very sought after.

I'm a programmer. I program. Language is incidental.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by bonkey

Most important point ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I too have programmed in COBOL. As much as I don't like it, I must agree with Bonkey in two respects. Fior the likes of banking transactions et al. it is perfectly suited for it. Secondly, it is very easy to read (and was designed that way originally so non-programmers could read it).

On another note .......

COBOL = Completely Obsolete Business Oriented Language.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Actually, I actually rather like COBOL... :cool:
    Originally posted by bonkey
    Laugh at COBOL all you like. I'll happily take an exorbitant salary to code in it once its unpopular enough to make consultants very very sought after.
    Indeed. Always causes me to smile at geek politics, where many will turn their noses up at COBOL or VB(A), and then complain about lack of work. The unfashionable languages are often far more stable, work-wise. You’ll never starve if you are able and willing to code in COBOL or VB(A), for example.
    You tell ‘em sister! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Ow....
    Yes theres jobs, for people with 5ish years experience....it's still horrible, to anyone who has done COBOL :
    Invalid Decimal Data!
    I rest my case ;)

Advertisement