Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good "How To Build a PC" guide pls...

• 07-06-2002 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in ordering a pile of kit and then attempting to build my own PC. Can anyone recommend (drop links if possible) a good guide to building a PC from the ground up? I will possibly get one of those kits from komplett.ie and add some additional components, so it will be using all the latest/greatest motherboards, memory, disks etc.

Thanks in advance.

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

www.pcirl.com has some guides on his site.. never read them so i dont know if they are any good though... try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah it has a pretty good guide.
    Just remember take your time cause you can make some big mistakes if ya rush.
    I've forgotten to plug in a fan once or twice and it was a case of getting compressed air to cool the sink.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I've come across this site, US-based but a lot of stuff on building your own PC:

http://pcsupport.about.com/cs/buildyourownpc/index.htm

hopefully it may be of some help.

:):):)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

here is another one for you to have a look at and seems pretty comprehensive...

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

or if you want to go one further...

http://www.pcmech.com/build.htm

Good Luck...

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

All guides to building a PC are general, this is due to the fact that each computer config is inherently different that others. So at www.pcIRL.com we have a forum for any one who has problems with there building/buying/upgrading etc.

The best advice i can give you is to gather as much info on building as possible. Heres a couple of sites that should help

www.pcnineoneone.com
    www.pcmech.com
    www.acme.com/build_a_pc
    www.buildfromscratch.co.uk
    www.pcirl.com/build

Feel free to post in our forums (www.pcirl.com/forum) or post here on boards any problems you incounter.

Regards

Barry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Thanks for the links and advice folks...I will certainly check them out.

Has anyone here recently ordered one of these kits from komplett.ie by any chance? Are they difficult to build? Would you recommend it or not?

c0y0te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I've ordered a kit from komplett, its not any different from ordering the parts separately, except there might be a slightly lower price from the bundle, and apparently they have tested those components work together. So its not really easier than any other pc to build physically, but you might have fewer compatibility problems ok. The build did go extremely smoothly for me, and I'd recommend it.

Gerry,

How long would u estimate it would take a 'beginner' (using a guide) to build one of those komplett kits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I am a beginner, I had never even looked inside a pc, and I got a komplett 1900+ bundle last week, and I had no problems at all putting it together.

All you need to get is an operating system, mouse, keyboard, modem, speakers, and monitor. Everything else is included in the kit.

It took me about 12 hours to get everything together. There is two sets of instructions included, the first is a quick setup quide, which is good but very short, I'd advise you to get a print out of all the steps on www.pcmech.com. The other instruction booklet comes with the motherboard, and it is very detailed. In the pcmech steps, they talk about "jumpers", you can ignore this, the bios will sort these out for you later.

It is a lot easier than you would think, once you can follow instructions.

Thanks for the info... were you happy with the service from komplett? How did you pay? How long did it take them to fill the order? Was all the kit correct when it arrived? etc. etc.

All info greatly appreciated, as I am trying to decide whether to order a bundle from komplett and build it myself, or buy a pre-built kit.

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

I ordered the duron kit myself wedensday. I'm in the same boat... i dont have a clue. hope i dont mess it up. these links will come in handy though, thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Yes, I am happy with komplett, no problems.

I payed with visa, the prices included vat, and delivery was ok, about €20. I ordered on a saturday, thinking back I should have done it on a weekday, because the order status didnt change to complete till monday. The two boxs arrived thursday 10am, the case in one, and the conponents in the other, + a power cable with an irish plug. My visa was charged the right amount on tuesday.

I got my monitor and speakers from www.dabs.co.uk, again no problems. I order same time, and the speakers arrived on thursday, and the monitor on friday. Delivery was about €20 and prices where ok.

I think that if you have light fingers that dont crush things, you should go for komplett.

Excellent! I think I will get the ASUS 1900 kit from Komplett and the rest of the stuff from either dabs.co.uk or scan.co.uk. Thanks again folks.

c0y0te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by c0y0te
    scan.co.uk. Thanks again folks.

c0y0te

GOOD GOD NO

dont buy from scan last time i bought from them i orderd 6k stg worth of stuff half of it didnt work . i sent it back only to get it sent back to me with some parts still not working . sent it back again and they still havnt sent it back to me or the cash equivlent . dont buy from scan .

search through this fourm and u will see other ppl with same problom .

I've revisited that *thought* about scan.co.uk... the shaggers wanted to charge me 70 stg. shipping for a sodding monitor. The only reason I was going there was the monitor was approx 100 euro cheaper than komplett (who have a ****e range of 19 inch CRTs btw.)

So - now I need another source. I'm checking DABS.. but will also suss out the other sites mentioned in the sticky topic at the top of these boards.

btw.. I've ordered the ASUS 1900 bundle today.. mmmmm.. looking forward to that baby arriving:)

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

http://www.encom.ie/Products.asp?CategoryID=24 do the Iiyama 19" FST VM 1451 (LS902UT) for 250 euro, plus local company with same day delivery :) We use them with all our machines and find them excellent :)

HTH, Steve

Advertisement