Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSl queries

Options
  • 07-06-2002 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I got DSL yesterday and within 8 hours from watching a trailer and general surfing and played mohaa online i had 125mbs received.
    i have emailed eircom as to weather this counts as dloaded material or not and if it does as i explained in the email the service they offer
    is not "always on" "24/7" as if 8 hours on brings in that much received bytes 80 hours will hit the 3 gig limit.
    hmm false advitisement me thinks.
    will post the reply i get from them.
    Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It is not false advertising. You are the one that made the downloads. They will all be counted. Every single byte will be counted ( if they have actually implemented the metering that is )

They state there is a cap, you probably signed a contract accepting this. The cap does not disconnect you after 3 gigs.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i havent signed a contract ;)
    i called em they came no paperwork was exchanged.
    my main query with them is surfing dloading ???
    kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Every bit that passes into your PC is downloading, and all will go against your capped limit,

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Has anybody gotten a contract that specifically states exactly what traffic is counted, i.e. If I were to start sending constant ICMP requests to a machine, would that count as bytes being downloaded? Alternatively, I know from my firewall logs there is a lot of script kiddies trying all sorts of connection requests on my machine when im online (dialup). This data would come down the downstream channel on DSL i.e. the 512kbps thus it is data that you are downloading even though you haven't made the download yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

They are not going to distinguish. Anything going down the line to you will be charged, regardless of protocol/source.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

all downloads including surfing but the cap is not implemented yet it....... will be soon as a site is been developed you log-on and it will tell you how much you have downloaded .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I bet its a flash website with 2 mb load and 2 min refresh on it .
    :(
    Kdja

Advertisement