Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Cartel

Options
  • 07-06-2002 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I have been visiting the online editions of teh Irish papers today. I discovered that the Irish times has finally installed a subscribtion few which they have talkabout for months now.
    So I said to myslef...
    "Fine. No more traffic from me. Off I go to the Irish Indo"

What do I discover? A pop-up box to begin charging people as the Times has....

Is this not cartel practice
    or a form of anti-competitive behaviour.

I am aware that most of the news papers in ireland are owned by the same british consortium with the exception maybe of the irish times(US consortium)...

I have been outraged by this development and will be using off-shore papers for online irish news in future...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is this not cartel practice
    or a form of anti-competitive behaviour.

I don't think so, no. It's just a natural progression - subscriptions is the way the Internet is going. Get used to it. By the way, the Indo subscription is free, it's not a paid service. Yet.

I am aware that most of the news papers in ireland are owned by the same british consortium with the exception maybe of the irish times(US consortium)...

I was under the impression that the IT was a non-for-profit trust.

adam [/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    Most Irish papers are associated with either the Irish Independent (Independent News & Media) or The Irish Examiner (Thomas Crosbie Holdings) although Trinity Mirror and others have been making inroads into the market. Smurfit have substantial power in the magazine market and the newspaper printing market. The Irish Times is one of the few standalone papers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

News International (Murdoch?) has been trying to get into Ireland recently, but they seem to constantly be pipped at the post. TCH pretty much took one off them recently, most unexpectedly.

I dislike these media congolmerates intensely. It's bloody dangerous.

adam

Advertisement