Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV cards?

• 03-08-2001 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Can you use it to output to your TV?

How much do the cards cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I presume the only reason you would want to do that, ConUladh, would be if you successfully had your pc cracking pay-per-view tv. The cards themselves don't have an output, so you would need a graphics card with tv-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

I have a Hauppage WinTV Go, cheap enough at £40 or so, it autotunes and finds all normal channels except Channel4 :< and eurosport.

Also use it for capturing from vcr/camcorder to harddisk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I have the Hauppage WIN TV USB tuner...
    This will change your life!!

No need to install a card its totally xlnt!
    All you do is hook it up w/ a tv cable connection and then into your USB port and Heh Presto. You can watch 16 channels @ once, record video and input (I'm putting loads of stuff from VHS onto VCD @ the moment) Its totally cool and because its not runnign off your PC it doesn;t effect your RAM performance!

I got mine in Compustore for about £100. Value for money in my opinion!
    80p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rowan:
    I have a Hauppage WinTV Go, cheap enough at £40 or so, it autotunes and finds all normal channels except Channel4 :< and eurosport.

Also use it for capturing from vcr/camcorder to harddisk.
    </font>

I got that carad too... piece of ****.... C4 works btw so does EURO sport... they r located on the France station bands... U can get booster software to recieve C4 at high quality... but i would suggest an Antenna Booster(u can get them in any TV store for about £10).... good luck...

P.S. MOST TV CARDS HAVE TV-OUT

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

No, I've a DVD-ROM, wanted to watch DVD's on telly - bigger screen and all that

Thanks for the info
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    I presume the only reason you would want to do that, ConUladh, would be if you successfully had your pc cracking pay-per-view tv. The cards themselves don't have an output, so you would need a graphics card with tv-out.</font>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

To watch DVD's or anything from your pc on tv you could do it by getting a graphics card with tv out on it (haven't done this yet so not sure about the quality) or you could just buy a scan convertor which splits the signal going from your pc to your monitor and sends it onto your tv/projector also costs about 100 squid from what i can remember and the quality is astounding i thought.

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

so good i said it twice (by accident)

Farls

[This message has been edited by Farls (edited 03-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have a WinPVR and the Theatre on another pc, hooked up to a surround setup, tv viewing just kicks!! Never had problems with ch4 or Eurosport on them, i do seem to recall the my first "Go" never picked them up for some odd reason. Maplins have the Theatre for about 100 squid, which is really good value imho, especially if you are starting into tv capture and learn the basics, its a nifty performer. (If you are lazy like me you can get the PVR which you can schedule mpeg captures , basically its a pc vcr, but it costs around IR£250 , well worth . BTW if any of you are thinking about the PVR don't buy them off the shelf here unless you are completely sure they are new stock as the older rev of the card had issues with PAL sources(stripy mpeg capture)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I think there is some way to split your monitor output and divert it to your normal tv- I've seen something done like that for presentations in UCD.
    (Sorry for not being very specific or technical) I did see something else that a lot of shops use for splitting the signal from one CPU so they can view info on overhead screens- Idont think its neccesarily a card though- more an adapter (i think!?)

80p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

What channels can you see if you install a TV card in your computer? How does the card work - through the internet or by cable or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It has a socket just like the on the back of your TV. You can get cards with Coaxial sockets or scart sockets, and it works in the same way as a normal TV. You don't have to connect to the net. It just tunes in all available channels the same way an autotuner on a TV does. Not all that useful if you already have a TV, but windows comes with a facility that lets you go online (through your phone line) and find TV listings, and stuff like that, but TeleText already does that. It's pretty much pointless fiddling. And by the way, the coaxial cable can't be used for a high-speed internet connection, it just won't work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Ah. Sounds a little pointless, so. I was envisaging a world of international channels. Pity.

Advertisement