Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Belly

Options
  • 07-06-2002 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is kinda personal to me but it probably is the same for a lot of
    us.
    I work all day at a computer desk and then all night i Game
    whether Cs ,moh or whatever i also booze abit
    The problem is I have grown a massive beer belly, now im not really fat anywhere else, I just have a big beer belly (no laughing!) while you might find this amusing , i did for a while,
    its beginning to effect me now with lack of endurance, tired ness
    and general lazyness

What i want to know off yee socially elite is how do i lose it?
    without the typical answer of ..duh go to the gym.
    Im thinking along the lines of an excercise machine for my room
    till i can work off some and last longer than 10 min in a gym
    without dieing.
    Has anyone been in a similar predicament, what do i do ?
    what machine do i buy? any fitness people out their ?

can i buy getting fit for losers? Cus while funny at first its now
    gettiing depressing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The only thing that will get rid of a beer belly is Diet, pretty much any amount of excercise by its self wont help. Stop the beer for a few weeks, its not as hard as it sounds, cut down on the bread, pasta and potatoes, eat more veggies and rice , Not fried rice!
    The belly is one of the hardest places to lose weight from, cause even the pull ups and other stomach excerises wont do much until the fat level is reduced, the muscles will get bigger and harder but the fat will burn off really slow, you need to let the body eat that off its self before you'll see any results in the gym

bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Yep, like what bombidol said. The easiest way is to go on a diet and stop drinking beer. A pint has typically about 200 calories if I remembered right from reading the Hacker's Diet a few months ago. Cut back on all those excessive calories and you will stop growing. Exercise and you'll burn off some of it but you have to do lots of exercise to actually loose a huge amount of excess body fat. Diet is really the the only option but don't just starve yourself. Read up on it and talk to your doctor or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

Theres no easy way out here. I also had a similar lifestyle to yerself (office job, cs at night, beer, beer, beer). However I found the best thing to start with is aerobic excercise. Dont worry about the belly until you improve general fitness level first. I suggest the following
    - take up soccer or some sport with some lads from work
    - walk(if possible) or cycle to work instead of bus/car
    - stop playing CS now before it's too late!
    - take some form of excercise that makes you sweat every single day. btw, sex is best for this

As an aside I have issues with paying inordinate amounts of money to a gym. I mean theres plenty of space outside to jog in. Plus you actually go somewhere when you move as opposed to pounding the treadmill thing. Stick with sports. Much more fun than the gym! However, you should do a few push ups and sit ups after a run or a cycle just to burn the upper body a bit. But take it easy to start and build up. Don't kill yerself and then get put off.

Lastly on the diet thing. Just eat sensible. One decent meal a day. No chips or crisps or any of that crap. Replace snacks like those with fruit instead. And for gods sake have a few beers at the weekend!! It wont kill you ... ;)

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I heard the other day, that they've come up with a new pill which stops the beer belly coming on!! No joke. I can't find any links or anything, I think it was in the Sun or mirror so there ye go! But ye may not even have to bother doing anything.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It was a pill that removes the chemical that causes you to feel hungry. Of course eating when you're hungry is normal, eating when you're not hungry is the problem! :)

Yeah a belly is down to diet alone, eat healthy and excercise, it's not easy but once you get into it it's not that difficult either. And you'll feel 10 times better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I went off the beer a month and a bit ago and already I've noticed my jeans/trousers are a little more loose. That's in a month - I didn't change my diet, just stayed off the drink.

It's actually not that hard - don't say you're off the drink, just say "I'm not drinking at the moment." Trying to kid yourself into not drinking again is silly, let yourself know you're going to keep drinking, but just not at the moment ;)

BTW - I'm a fat bastid, so it's not just a beer belly - it's a beer body!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

/me looks down at bulbous mass that was once a beautiful 6pack

yes i too know the shame of a beer belly, and it is just that a swollen gut formed from drink. When i started drinking ale i was warned it would happen but i didn't listen and now i ware it with shame :/

It's not too hard to get it under control tho, sit-ups'll sort it out in no time. Start with 10-20 per day n work your way up to 100+. i know it sounds daunting but hell if i can do it anyone can !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Try the patented amp two step diet to a leaner, fitter you:

1. Eat less.
    2. Excercise more.

Simple no?

Originally posted by amp
    Try the patented amp two step diet to a leaner, fitter you:

1. Eat less.
    2. Excercise more.

Simple no?
    Actually that would be a bad idea. Eating less would leave you sluggish cupple that with more exercise and you could do some serious damage to your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

For all those people that have been recommending lots of sit ups, unfortunately it doesn't work! You can't loose fat from just one area. When you excercise fat is removed from all over your body. Your stomache may appear to have lost weight because your muscles get bigger and give it more definition.

There is no easy way to loose weight. You just have to do it the hard way. Go to you local park and do a bit of excercise. Even a little bit helps! Gradually built it up. You'll feel so much better after a while, your body won't feel as sluggish.

Eat properly aswell! Eat three meals and NO munching inbetween. Much easier to loose weight if your stomach isn't constantly digesting! Hard at first but gets easier! Your stomach will shrink. Stay away from fatty foods! Stick to carbohydrates and protein! Lots of pasta, rice and tuna!

I'm not one to talk though for the last few months I've done nothing because I'm working for the leaving. This summer I plan to get really fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I'm at my early teens.. 18
    I can see a beer belly starting to come on myself, I want to burn it off, but the thing is right, I smoke.
    I'm not a heafy smoker, on adveragell 10 smokes a day or less would do me,
    I have been to the gym a few times but the thing is, since I am a smoker, is it actualy worth my time to go to the gym, will i get any healthier if I smoke, or will I just cause a lot of chest infections and bring on bad coughs?

Just another quick question..
    Does anyone know what the adverage weight is for people, or a site were I could check up to see if I am under/over weight or adverage?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Simple solution daniel san - have twice as much sex as beer.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    II think it was in the Sun or mirror

Now lets do a little stereotyping:

Who reads the sun/mirror?
    What physical characteristics can you apply to them?
    What drink do they enjoy?
    The Sun and Mirror invent stories to fill space....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by azezil

Actually that would be a bad idea. Eating less would leave you sluggish cupple that with more exercise and you could do some serious damage to your health.

Prove it, spamboy.

Originally posted by amp

Prove it, spamboy.
    Well Satan's little helper monkey, if you bothered to enter a search like "dieting what not to do" into a search engine you'd find plenty of sites saying the same thing.

Here's two examples for ya: site one and site two

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

...back on subject - personal jibes aside... try this body mass index calculator, however I'm sure there are better ones if you look on Google.

As for losing the gut, in addition to what people have said, may I suggest walking more than you do - don't get the bus - walk. And try some Alexander techniques for starters e.g. concentrate on your breathing, posture and centre of gravity while in motion. It's amazing how much of an effect your breathing has on your digestive system as does your posture for example.

You can still go to the gym if you smoke, many people do. However, if you want to maximise the effect - stop smoking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

hey i went and had a look at that thing and it said i am normal /average , thats great because they usually say i am under weight .as for the beer belly , mine has been coming on with a while , its horrible , i`ve been told giving up the bulmers would help , but i dont seriously think that will ever happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

'Course, the other option is to realise that you like beer more than you like having a flat stomach. Like I did.

(Just did two weeks of a diet. I've also realised that I like food more than I like a flat stomach. Sod it. :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I've lost two stone since the end of January mainly due to a diet. I've gone from a 36in waist to a 30in waist. I lost the first stone and a 1/3 from diet alone. I then started in a gym and lost another few pounds since I started doing cardio work and weights.

azezil: That first link is bollox, diets do work, its fat lazy people who don't stick to diets that moan the loudest that diets and exercise don't work, the 2nd loudest are those selling the wonder solution.

Eating less does allow you to lose weight and is healthy if you eat the right food. It won't slow you down and make you sluggish at all. All you need to do is burn more calories than you take in. It doesn't need to be drastic.

As for that diet pill, I've heard about it and its very controversial, its got fda approval even though theres been over a dozen people died after taking it. More dangerous that ecstasy, I think it might be the same family of chemical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

http://www.fitnessonline.com/

Try this m8. Its not and instance cure but you'll need to do alot of exercise and dieting at the same time to receive and quick results and yes motivation is a bitch to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

If you want to build up your stamina and stretch out those muscles so you don't end up with knots all over I reccomend you take up swimming. It will improve you're overall fitness level and elongate your muscles (there's nothing more natural and healthier in the world) I reccomend you start drinking a lot more water, go to the gym and work your stomach etc in the weights room then go for a good swim and sauna or whatever else is there to relax your muscles and sweat off what ails ya :)

As for diet, the 3 bits of fruit and 3 veg with 2 small portions of protein will help, eat a banana on your way to the gym, it releases energy slowly and is 10 times healthier than a snickers or a mars bar.

You know that a Mars Bar has as many calories as a fully blown meal with a side of fat if you don't work it off right?

Eat fish, not red meat and make it something like cod (there are oily fatty fish like shellfish which will not help you're situation) cod/plaice Sea Bass and Salmon are the way to go. As long as you don't use a butter sauce to go with it :p Trim all visible fats from you're meats, don't fry grill, imo it's easy if you put your mind to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 che

loosing weight aint that hard if ya put your mind to it. my secret is cycling. its a very enjoyable and relaxing way to travel and gets you around faster in rushhour. ive beaten a ferrai in a race from cabinteely to town (i was the only one doing the racing). so lots of bikes and a sit up bench is what keeps my lovely six pack in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Shinji
    'Course, the other option is to realise that you like beer more than you like having a flat stomach. Like I did.

Ditto :)

I used to be a bit of a jarvis cocker, but 8 years of sitting on my posterier all week and drinking at weekends has given me a lovely belly of the '2nd trimester' order:)

Im very much like the original poster, my fitness is shameful, i smoke and dont eat properly. I have found however that with a little bit of work i can keep the belly down to reasonable standards. I walked home from work for about a month and that alone helped. I play football during the summer which helps with the general fitness but funnily didnt reduce the belly that much.
    If you want a travis style sixpack, you really have to do a LOT of work. Personally i cant be buggered:)

BTW, Stopping drinking doesnt work, at least it didnt for me. I went off the gargle for almost 2 months last year and didnt lose any weight.

On the diet side to things, im completly clueless about what i should be eating. While im not that pushed about my physique, i dont particularly want to fall over from a coronary any time soon. Can anyone post up good diet related links?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Try this for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't think you have to go to enormous and unsustainable life-changing lengths if you have time on your hands. I was carrying a stone and a half of excess beer and food flab at christmas time and it's gone now and I have done nothing particularly outrageous to achieve this.

What I have done is cut out visits to the chipper, (still horsing dinner into me every evening, but it's amazing the difference it makes when it's not a snack box) made a conscious effort to walk a bit more and started using the stairs in work instead of the lift. (Four flights from door to desk).

I could do with being fitter, but I tell you I'm far more likely to try getting to a swimming pool or the gym each week at the moment than I was six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I had/still the same problem unregistered. I used and until recently spend best part of 12+ hours a day sat infront of pcs. Eating endless amount of crisps and other luberly things and drinking 6+ pints average a day just while either doing some work or gaming. Only way unfortunatly to loose the belly is diet, stop drinking and do some exercise. I tried these three things for 3 weeks and nearly died but I did loose some of the beer gut. But realised to hell with itd rather be a fat git than not have my beer and food I enjoy! hell who wants to live if ya cant have a sup of ale now and then or regularly.

So in short if your dedicated and really want to loose it then exercise and diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭m0o|Dino

Playing soccer well help, like since i started playing soccer again from months and months of neglect of my fat cells, i feel alot healthier/sexier rar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

instead of boozing in the lounge area and the bar, why dont you visit the dancefloor more often when you go out. instead of beer, drink something else, when was the last time you heard someone have a vodka-belly? :p

adnans

• Advertisement

Just like to thank everyone who posted , alot of good information
    gotten out of it and its good to see so many like minded people
    who appreciate the finer things in life , food and beer . But Im warning you it does seem to catch up on you in the end.

Ive decided to buy an excercise bike and start there , along with
    cutting down on crisps and such and trying to eliminate the
    fatty stuff .
    Hopefully this will eliminate my sexy belly, and bring up my general
    fitness then im going to try the gym.
    anyway thanks

"dont mock me , I was once just like you " quote by my idol
    Homer J

Advertisement