Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom could lose its international links by Monday

Options
  • 07-06-2002 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Did I say 3 months.......

Shucks

Could be three Days

Lookee Here to see what I mean.

AOL are possibly going down too....Europe wide.

Have Eircom completely mugged the Irish press pack or something, this should be headline news by now.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I looked at that link - look at the message from eircom (read it as an instruction to eircom).

eircom i-stream it's time get up to speed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is that a screengrab of a webpage or something? I cant read it... my eyes hurt now...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Saruman
    Is that a screengrab of a webpage or something? I cant read it... my eyes hurt now...
    Yes, its the link from above - just read the eircom ad on the left, forget the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd say that the companies in question will have alternative arrangements in place by them. Sneaking suspicion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

and we never knew the joys of a 24/7 flat-rate internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I have a feeling we wont even get that long. Im being constantly dc'd by NTL. What puzzles me though,is that this hasnt made headlines yet, and its major news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Tizlox
    and we never knew the joys of a 24/7 flat-rate internet.
    The bankrupcy of KPNQwest will have nothing to do with eircom, or any other telco, deciding to offer flat rate internet access, or withdraw any suedo-pakages available at the moment.
    Originally posted by Tizlox
    I have a feeling we wont even get that long. Im being constantly dc'd by NTL. What puzzles me though,is that this hasnt made headlines yet, and its major news.
    Again, disconnections will have nothing to do with the bankrupcy of KPNQwest.

International connectivity problems (which is what the KPNQwest situation is) is as seperate an issue to dialup connections being dropped as 2 problems can get in an ISP. (eg. one will never effect the other). Even if eircom were using KPNQwest as its sole international connectivity (which it isnt), eircom customers would still be able to access the rest of the internet. At most it would be a bit slower. Remember, the internet was built with resilience in mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....or so it seems.

See Here for details.

I am not sure if the Ebone is the bit of KpnQwest that Eircom uses ...I suspect not.

BTW if Eircom are not reliant on KPNQwest for European bandwidth then who do they use?

The LINX covers UK ISP's mainly, I thought they did their peeing for Europe in Amsterdam...as do many ISP's

M

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unfortunate. Fair play for those volunteers for keeping it going. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem getting volunteers to keep it running permanently, it's just the costs that would stop it. I'm not entirely savvy on the make-up of the portions of the internet - where will this affect, or are KPNQwest just a company with a giant internet portal/backbone, with loads of subscribers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[ Bastards. Moving threads about and confusing me. :) ]

Odd. The Register ran an article last night saying that the administrators believed it was All Going To Be Ok.

Fair play for those volunteers for keeping it going.

Indeed. Although I suppose they're fighting for their jobs as much as anything else.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem getting volunteers to keep it running permanently, it's just the costs that would stop it.

Well, there's also the fact that they appear to be barricaed in, and the administrators would probably come off looking a little silly allowing them out and replacements in. That said, there appears to be a spirit of co-operation between the adminstrators and the volunteers.

I'm not entirely savvy on the make-up of the portions of the internet - where will this affect, or are KPNQwest just a company with a giant internet portal/backbone, with loads of subscribers?

Backbone. KPNQwest sells only to telco's as far as I'm aware. And any telco that doesn't have alternative arrangements doesn't deserve to be a telco.

adam

• Advertisement

.....Beeb reckons 4PM our time today.

I have been running some traces to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

KPNQwest to stay in operation until the end of june at least - read more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The deadline is now the end of June.
    Also correct me if I'm wrong but Eircom seems to have an international link direct to newyork.

...it seems that Alcatel are angling for some Money and are threatening a shutdown, sigh!!!! , if they don't get it.

Expressions of interest are one thing €$£ quite another.

Advertisement