Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd burner

• 28-07-2001 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Ive got a Freecom 2x2x24 cd burner. I installed it myself onto packard bell P3 450mhz machine. I use Nero 4.0 as software. Problem is, is that it is very tempromental. It only likes burning data onto cds, things like mp3, txts etc, when ever I try to burn an audio cd or game etc it crashes and thats another cd lost.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Any error messages ?

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

the problem is the packard bell "pc", you will have to get a new and real PC.
    prob solved.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Maybe take a visit to http://www.ahead.de and see if they have an update for your version fo Nero. Ahead tend to release quite regular updates and patches to increase support and function, so your CDR drive might just be better supported now.

The other thing you can do is to find a CDR app called "Feurio" which ONLY does audio CDs and is free (also German, I think they made a deal with Nero to put their CD-labelling app in Nero).

The third thing you can do is to get a firmware upgrade for the drive (if one exists). Check out that drivers.com site (the login is: "drivers" and password: "all") - that URL might be slightly different though now, but it's the same site, with links to manfacturer update pages.

Personally I think Nero is by far the best software for Windows, and is light years ahead of the likes of CDRWIN, which is the best for ISO and raw copies I find, but not so hot for creating your own either multisession data or audio CDs. Check for Nero updates before dumping the software........

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    Any error messages ?

Stone biggrin.gif
    </font>

Yeah I get them in the burning window, big read error symbols, then the machine freezes, and I have to turn off using plug, which cant be good.
    But it could be the stupid packard bell pc.

post a screen grab of the error.. i know you will have to waste another cd, but it may be worth it.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I had a similar problem using Nero, try using something else for buring..

I use EZ-cd from Adaptec (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/) for making my own cd's
    and Clone CD (http://www.elaborate-bytes.com/) for copying cd's.....

Insane - Am I the only mutha****er with a brain?
    I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

READ errors........well then maybe check your HD for errors. Perhaps a scandisk?

Also, have you tried different media? Try it on an expensive (£2.50!) TDK audio CD and see if it works. If might be just that the media is poor quality (I was already talking about the ultrash*t Vivastar 50 pack for £25 from Argos which refused to burn at all on my otherwise fine system.....changed to a different media and it worked fine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hertz:
    Ive got a Freecom 2x2x24 cd burner. I installed it myself onto packard bell P3 450mhz machine. I use Nero 4.0 as software. Problem is, is that it is very tempromental. It only likes burning data onto cds, things like mp3, txts etc, when ever I try to burn an audio cd or game etc it crashes and thats another cd lost.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    </font>
    You said it doesn't like burning audio cds or games. I am assuming you are trying to burn on the fly directly off another cd. If that's the case then it's just your cdrom having problems reading and feeding the cd writer with data. Make a cd image/ISO first and burn that off your hard drive.

the cd-rom has probs feeding a 2x2 drive, i dont think so.
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    the cd-rom has probs feeding a 2x2 drive, i dont think so.
    smile.gif
    </font>
    Of course a any cdrom made at least in the last 5 years can sustain a 2x data stream. Duh! It looks like it has problems READING the data and then FEEDING it to the cd-writer.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 29-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This may sound a tad obvious, but have you tried burning to CD-RW discs first? If the software makes a mess of it, just erase the disc and start again. If it works, copy the CD-RW onto a CD-R.

The software will most likely complain that you are (for example) bruning an audio CD onto a CD-RW and that CD-RWs cannot be read in normal CD players, but this is not relevant. When you insert the newly burned Audio CD-RW into the PC it will read it as a normal Audio CD and start playing it.

TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Im presuming you're burning on the fly (cd-cd) as was asked above? If they're both IDE drives on the same chain you will have problems. Either burn images first or move one drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Yep, I use Nero and my CD-ROM and Burner are on the same chain and I can't use on-the-fly

With Nero it's a simple matter of unticking the on-the-fly box, it then handles the disk transfer stuff itself, i.e. no need to create an image first

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    Im presuming you're burning on the fly (cd-cd) as was asked above? If they're both IDE drives on the same chain you will have problems. Either burn images first or move one drive.</font>

[This message has been edited by ConUladh (edited 31-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

When you installed the CD-RW, did you set it as master or slave, and did you connect it to the primary or secondary IDE slot, and did you use the second slot on a hard drive cable, or a separate cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

hertz, are you burning mp3s straight onto the audio cd?

if the answer is yes, convert the mp3 files into a wav files and then give it a shot. I had the same problem with a supa' machine but still kept fúckin' up and once ive done that, it worked like a charm.

if the answer is no, then you need a better machine. smile.gif

adnans

"I'd rather be rich than stupid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hertz:
    It only likes burning data onto cds, things like mp3, txts etc, when ever I try to burn an audio cd or game etc it crashes and thats another cd lost.</font>

Is there a security feature on the music CDs and games?

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red Moose:
    I was already talking about the ultrash*t Vivastar 50 pack for £25 from Argos which refused to burn at all on my otherwise fine system.....changed to a different media and it worked fine.</font>
    I'll vouch for that. Out of 50 possible CD's from this pack I managed to make........12, and all but two of these were destroyed after I left them in the car during a sunny day. Go for quality!
    frown.gif

Don't ever become indispensable. They'll never promote you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Go for quality!
    [/B]</font>

My 100 CD's from Dixons for £35 are grand

Burnt at least 30 and only 2 fckups, one of which was def my own fault, the other I didn't do a test burn first so I don't know

But then I haven't left them lying in the sun either

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adnans:
    hertz, are you burning mp3s straight onto the audio cd?

if the answer is yes, convert the mp3 files into a wav files and then give it a shot. I had the same problem with a supa' machine but still kept fúckin' up and once ive done that, it worked like a charm.

if the answer is no, then you need a better machine. smile.gif

adnans

</font>

Actually I can burn mp3s onto audio, and my drive is not on same ide as other drive cos I havent got any messages regarding that.

Advertisement