Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills due after you leave

Options
  • 07-06-2002 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any legal requirement to pay bills that arrive within a week or two of your leaving a residence?

Just wondering cause I’m moving out in a week or two and there should be an electric bill coming along any time now too. I do intend to pay for it, after all I was there using the electricity too but was just wondering is there any legal requirement to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes there is. I'm not sure, but I think there is a specific offence of stealing electricity. Although one wonders should it really be treated as a civil case where the electricity company has to sue you.

You would not have to pay for bills that are paid in advance (e.g. cable TV, phone rental).

If the billing period doesn't match when you leave, read the meters (electricty, gas) and calculate from there or alternatively do it on a time basis (cable TV).

If bills are in you name, make sure they are cleared before other bills. It could affect your credit rating.

Morally, you know what you need to do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Victor
    Morally, you know what you need to do. ;)
    Run away to to the States?? ;)

Advertisement