Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Usage

• 07-06-2002 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

How much of your hard drive do you use. I know there a some huge drives around but how much of it do you actually use?

I use 13GB on my drives(RAID Mirror) 2x 15GB

Also what size are your drives?

Hard Drive Usage? 40 votes

0 - 10 GB
    0% 0 votes
    11 - 20 GB
    5% 2 votes
    21 - 40 GB
    22% 9 votes
    41 - 60 GB
    25% 10 votes
    60 - 100 GB
    15% 6 votes
    100 - 160GB
    22% 9 votes
    160 GB+
    10% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1x 80GB maxtor
    1x 30 GB Maxtor, soon to be getting a 120GB IBM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I just edited it to include additional options since I think a lot of people on this board use mental amounts of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

As the post states i was more interested in HOW MUCH of the actual drive you use, not as to how big your hard drive is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'm currently using about 50Gigs at the moment, but I'll be going to a LAN at the weekend so by Monday it should be around 80! :)

And PCIrl... you wouldn't believe how much space people use. Slydice once filled up around 120 Gigs, and he would have filled up more if he had the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I have 2x40Gb 1x30Gb and 1x20Gb and i have room on one of the 40Gb's has about 30Gb's free cause i formatted it otherwise it'd be full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm the poor relation, with 3 and 10 GB disks, of which 50% is
    used. and I make music with my PC so big audio files lying about
    all over the place! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have 1x120gb Maxtor IDE, 1x40gb IBM IDE and 1x9gb IBM SCSI drive.

Using about 70gigs between them at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Generally: 130GB (260GB mirrored) on average ( 3D, video/dvd, & CAD work ).
    4*80GB
    2*40GB
    6*8GB
    6*60GB
    & a bunch of older drives (10-27GB capacities)

Sounds like a lot, but there have been times I wished for more "online" storage. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

well eye have got 3x40Gb drives.

drive1: 12.6Gbs free 24.6Gb's used
    drive2: 20.0Gbs free 9.2Gb's used
    drive3: 2.3Gbs free 34.9Gbs used

would have more used but i've been clearing room, putting stuff on cd's to make space for next lan party ;)
    hoping to get a 120 or 160 Gb drive to fill up as a storage drive, use on of the 40's for temporary storage...lans etc, and continue with the other two dual booting for myself and my dad's hard drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

178gb used at the moment. About 100gb of that will be burnt off when i get a free month or two. Hmph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

40gb AND 60GB drives in my main machine.

12GB used on the 40, 2GB used on the 60 !

(So used to uninstalling things through the years, that I get into that habit very quickly, I sometimes find myself installing something like mappoint and then uninstalling it 20 minutes later when I have my map. I think I used 1GB drives for too long)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Currently using 25 of 130 Gigs HD space - New HD installed recently, so I am trying to fill it at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Using 26Gigs of space atm only 6Gigs free :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

1x 80gb Maxtor
    1x 40gb Maxtor
    1x 20gb Maxtor
    1x 4.3gb IBM SCSI

Only about 10gb of it free. Getting a new 120gb soon. Use it mostly for development work but a large % of it is taken up by music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

1 x Quantim 60 gig 7200 = ide
    1 x maxtor 120 gig 5400 = ide
    1 x generic laptop 20 gig = usb2.0 (mp3 player/external hd)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I only have a 10GB slow, noisy HDD which has 3GB free. Now, tho, with my new connection to Europe Online, the 3GB won't be long filling!

I would like to know how many HDD's I can run in same PC. The (IDE) ribbon inside allows for 2 but would it be possible to change ribbon to 3x or something?

Also, would I notice any significant difference by installing a 7200rpm HDD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

IDE supports 2 drives per cable, master and slave. If it supported more, the cables would come with these extra connectors.

To install more than 4 ide devices in your machine, you will need an extra pci ide controller, theres a thread around somewhere about these but I can't find it. Perhaps 50 or 60 euro.

However, I don't think you need one of these. Buy 1 or 2 new hard drives, put in the first new one, copy your stuff over from your old crap hard drive, take the old one out, fire it in a bin or sell it, and put in your other new drive. That should work fine. Theres no need to put loads of new hard drives in since you can get up to 160gb on one drive now, 1 or at max 2 should do.

you will notice a difference from a 7200 rpm drive if you make heavy use of your pc, eg for intensive work like 3d rendering or development, or playing the latest games. And the difference will be greater if your old drive really was very slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I have a 60gb hd and a 120gb hd in my main machine. Theres about 100gb used in the main drive (mp3s take up 80gb of it )

The 60gb has about 25gb used, mostly software and some mp3s. I'll probably end up wiping the 60gb drive and use it for website dev stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I use about 35+10GB (win2k and linux) on the 80GB
    25GB on the 30GB.

Afaik you can't have more then 128Gigs on any drive below UDMA133. It was one of the specs init that it overcame that barrier.
    Might not be a limit of the drive itself, more the controller or interface.
    might be abel to get away with it using a UDMA133 compatible drive working backwardsly compatible with a 128+GB UDMA100/66/33 drive.
    I don't know the specifics.

if you want loads of drives get a SCSI setup.
    Even the cheapest of the cheap configs allow you to hook up 7 devices on the bus, faster and more features then equivalent generation IDE.

Tis the 'professional/performance interface' if you like...though you could go for a SAN setup or a file serever over gigabit LAN if you really want to go nuts.

most of my space is take up by documnets, dixes, 9.5Gigs of mp3s, about 40 games (HL on it's own takes in the region of 2gigs last time I checked).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

i have an 8gb and a 60gb. They're both almost full. The majority of it (46 gigs) is mp3s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

Two drives
    first is 60gb. 3gb. free at the mo.
    second is 30gb. 260mb. free at the mo

25gb. on the first drive is for EOL,second drive is for temp
    storage before transfer to CDr.

looking for replacement of second drive = 120gb.

byte

Originally posted by Gerry
    IDE supports 2 drives per cable, master and slave. If it supported more, the cables would come with these extra connectors.

To install more than 4 ide devices in your machine, you will need an extra pci ide controller, theres a thread around somewhere about these but I can't find it. Perhaps 50 or 60 euro.

However, I don't think you need one of these. Buy 1 or 2 new hard drives, put in the first new one, copy your stuff over from your old crap hard drive, take the old one out, fire it in a bin or sell it, and put in your other new drive. That should work fine. Theres no need to put loads of new hard drives in since you can get up to 160gb on one drive now, 1 or at max 2 should do.

you will notice a difference from a 7200 rpm drive if you make heavy use of your pc, eg for intensive work like 3d rendering or development, or playing the latest games. And the difference will be greater if your old drive really was very slow.

Thanks for advice. Well I was thinking of WD 80GB 7200 HDD as primary drive and using my noisy 10GB Quantum HDD (came with the GatewayPC) for MP3 or EON.

As for 80GB of MP3! Jesus, yellum, that's serious shyt, man! How many trax is that? A whole music shop! You obviously have something much better than dialup 56k! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by irishbyte

As for 80GB of MP3! Jesus, yellum, that's serious shyt, man! How many trax is that? A whole music shop! You obviously have something much better than dialup 56k! :p:D

Its around 15,500 tracks, over 1000 albums. Its dialup I have actually. However I used to work in a place that had a 26mb line. :P

byte

Ah, me sees! I would like me one of dem 26mb lines! :)

Advertisement