Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the bloomin' 'ell is causing this?!

• 03-08-2001 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Ok, the same thing happened about 2months ago and about a month before that aswell. I asked here for help and no-one knew, but I thought I'd try again anyway.

My Internet will not respond. Nothing, niente, zip. It connects (eircom, oceanfree, UTVnet, tried 'em all), but then there is nothing. The connection indicator in the bottom right remains permanently blank, as in no info being transmitted in or out.

Now the only thing I've done that could possibly cause this was running Disk Defrag, ScanDisk and Disk Cleanup. I ran all three this morning and when I tried to connect at around 6.30, this happened.

The last time it happened I had to format. Lucky enough I have backups of all my vital stuff this time, but as I said this is the third time it's happened and I would really like to know wtf is causing it.

Thanks.

/plead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

When I connect in Windows to Oceanfree or Eircom it connects fine at 52000, say, and I can type in a URL in IE. It will load briefly and then stop for over a minute with zero green lights in the icon in the taskbar, and no transmission or receiving.

Then after around 1-2 minutes it goes fine.

For some reason the same thing doesn't happen when I connect in linux to the same ISP so I concluded it was a Windows TCP/IP thing (standard Win98SE). Is this anything like your problem?

I.e., have you tried leaving it online for a few minutes and then seeing if it works okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aye, I have tried that. Sometimes MirandaICQ(though not the real ICQ) works and I'm able to speak to people on my ICQ list, but ICQ uses UDP doesn't it? So I guessed it was my TCP/IP aswell. Completely deleted and reinstalled all of the clients related to that and still nothing.

And my Linux works fine too, damn Windows! ;\

Ah well, formatted again anyway.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

I had a similiar problem and it was caused by bad modem drivers, what I suggest is to try standard modem drivers and if it works go to manufacturer of modem's web pages and try the new or old drivers.. good luck..

these opinions are mine and only mine and mine again...:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

I had this on a Powerbook, and the reason was that the manufacturer had set it to the wrong modem - there are two internal Apple modems at that speed, and they'd chosen the wrong one. Set it right, and *bingo*!

Any time I've had it on a PC, same thing: either the wrong modem was chosen, or the wrong driver was in use.

Don't panic. It's nothing major, and you'll fix it easily.

What kind of modem are you using? You know where to find modems, don't you? And drivers (windrivers.com).

And take a look at the Device Manager (right-click on My Computer, go to Properties and then choose the Device Manager tab). If the modem is shown with an exclamation mark over it, it's not working in some way - maybe it has the wrong driver, maybe it's not set into its slot firmly (if it's an internal modem).

If this is the case, then click on the modem (with the exclamation mark) to select it, and tell Windows "Remove" (there's a button), and then shut down, unplug, open the box, wash and dry your hands and slap them off the metal power supply housing to take away the static, and then take the modem card out and put it back in, carefully setting the slot in the correct place (the notch should match the nose in the motherboard's PCI slot where you're putting it in). Now make sure it's seated firmly by pressing it gently but firmly in, as if you're pushing your little brother through the school gates before racing off to meet your significant other.

Then close up, connect up, plug in, restart and Windows should find the correct modem again.

On the other hand, one simple problem with Windows is that its little mind gets confused if it has more than one modem installed. If you've previously had other modems on this machine, then go to the Modem control panel and delete the horrid things. I was able to restore connectivity miraculously to a friend's computer using this simple method.

Good luck, and courage, mon brave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thanks for the suggestions, but The last time it happened I assumed my modem was broke, so bought an external US Robotics and that still didnt work. So it must be something in windows. Also, its been working fine for the past 2months, just yesterday it just... stopped... working!

Ah well, nevermind. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Are you sure it's not just the web end that's foo? Your DNS settings might be screwy. Have you tried pinging an IP?

Are you getting bytes in/out in the Dial-Up Status box?

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

Advertisement