Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spider-man

• 08-06-2002 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Just saw Spider-man, and I liked it. A lot. Spidey is without doubt one of the slickest superheroes out there, and I'd say Sam Raimi has definitely done Stan Lee proud, he managed to capture the character perfectly. There's some kickass action scenes too, and seeing Peter Parker first figure out his new-found powers is great. Lovely CG too.

nice :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

yeah, i liked it alot too.

the brilliant fight scenes more then makes up for the not so great looking 'swinging about the city' scenes.

i had one minor niggle with the film though, the soundtrack was forgettable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Nah I disagree,
    Just got it on DVD and it's nothing to get worked up about. Reminded me too much of the Superman movies. I think the whole thing with September 11th, made it into a must see film, seems as its release was postponed. Just wait till it comes out on video/DVD. It doesn’t even come close too my top 20 list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Looking forward to this, Monaghan has advance previews tonight, going to head down to the 11 o clock showing :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, carlow has advanced showings too at 3 o clock or something, I'm thinking of heading in on my own (seeing as none of my friends are available), but I dunno.. I've already seen it on my comp.

i want to see it on the big screen, but am I *that* desperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Great movie! Its right up there with Batman when it comes to superhero movies.

I thought Toby McGuire was excellent as Peter Parker - really presented him just as I always imagined him.

*splodes*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah I gota say Toby McGuire did a excellent job.
    Also Kirsten Dunst did a good job of MJ.

On a side note, saw it 3 weeks ago, yeah its dam good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Going to see it tomorrow. Can't bloody wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Great movie! Its right up there with Batman when it comes to superhero movies.
    Batman had less cheese :) Overall the movie was great though, I really liked it and the special effects at the start of the 1 on 1 fight in the abandon building was fantastic (deliberately left out details for people who haven't seen it). And if those SW2 vs Spiderman is still going on, I think Spiderman is a better movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Brilliant movie, and Kirsten Dunst only makes it better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Yes...Kirsten's wet t-shirt added to an already brilliant film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Just home from it, great fun :).

Is the sequel already in production or has it been announced yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by SofaKing
    i had one minor niggle with the film though, the soundtrack was forgettable

Just saw it - thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree about the soundtrack, but thats just Danny Elfman for ya. Every soundtrack he has done in the last 15 years has been a remix of his Beetlejuice soundtrack. They all sound the bloody same!

On a plus side, there is no sign of that Nickelcrap song anywhere in the movie (which is a good thing!)

As for Episode 2 vs. Spiderman, there is no contest. Spiderman takes Jango's helmet, sh1ts inside it and gives it back..... ;)

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

the best thing about Spiderman the Movie is that it remains almost totally faithful to the original comics,down to parkers fight with the bully flash in the school cafeteria.
    It gave me that special fanboy thrill everytime i remembered how a detail or event on screen had been read about so many years before ,and guess what it was *almost* exactly how i had imagined it to be.
    If only the Judge Dredd movie had been given the same loving attention to detail ,instead of totally screwing up with the continuity and characters...<sigh>

*the only substantial difference being i always imagined the green goblins mask to be leather rather than metal,*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    the best thing about Spiderman the Movie is that it remains almost totally faithful to the original comics<sigh>

Ah
    the fact that the web shooters were part of him, thats not faithful in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

almost totally faithful. Which it was beside the whole webthingy imho. Not a great film but not crap. T'was enjoyable. The bit where he first wrestles the guy in his homemade costume was so funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

saw it yesterday. great stuff. loved every bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

"It doesn’t even come close too my top 20 list"

i dont think the film was made to make anyones top 100 list tbh it was made to make vast amounts of money and entertain people along the way

how did u manage to get the DVD ? didn't know that was out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Mills
    Is the sequel already in production or has it been announced yet?

Not in production yet as far as I know, but the cast are contracted for at least one more I think.

No one ever mentioned a DVD,
    Although I managed to get my hands on a VCD of it a good while back.
    Not bad quality if I do say so myself, though no where near as good as LOTR's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by jim_bob
    Just got it on DVD and it's nothing to get worked up about.

I guess he meant VCD.
    Havent seen it yet myself. Might try and go to it this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Probably will go to see it next weekend, has got great reviews and some really good actions scenes.

Kramer: Paying scrub woman for sexual favours no Jerry I won't be like you never, I'l never be like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

went to see it yesterday... its ok, wouldnt say its my favourite movie. its worth watching if your a spiderman fan. cant see how it is the biggest blockbuster in america ever....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

probably because ireland is not such a big fan of comics as the americans are ?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I thought it was great. Close enough to the comics to make me happy. Toby Maguire was perfect as spiderman. A few rope CG effects though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I went to see it yesterday, I have to say I thought it was class. The web slinging through the city was ment to look like that, as you cant use a real person to show off his super agile powers......they tryed it when they fist started shooting........it didn't work :)

the onee bit I didn't like was the close up of him webslinging with MJ....just looked odd to me. but beond that the hole movie was ccccoooooooolllll :)

Also I thought at first the web shooters where apart of him, then he lost the powers and had to use the gun type ones? But the part where he first trys to use them is the funnyist :)

The guy he beats in the wring, he used to be in the WWF in the 80's used to go around with a cowboy hat and all sparkly...and say "Ohhhhh YEAH" alot...what was his name???
    its been recking my head

I also liked the way Sam Raimi kept true to 3 things about his movies..

1) He had his brother Ted in the movie (he was Mr. Jameasons PA)
    2) He had Bruce Campbell in it (The wring anouncer that first calls him spider-man)
    3) His first car (it was uncle bens)

Originally posted by sutty
    The guy he beats in the wring, he used to be in the WWF in the 80's used to go around with a cowboy hat and all sparkly...and say "Ohhhhh YEAH" alot...what was his name???
    its been recking my head
    Macho Man Randy Savage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Pants - I didn't like it.

The cast was well picked and gave good performances. I don't like seeing good things getting changed - if it ain't broke, don't fix the forking thing!

Very good work from McGuire, Dafoe and Dunst - Dafoe taking to himself in the mirror is very cool.

CGI - not so hot IMO - not when I've seen LOTR and Episode 2 already this year. It's just no-where near as polished (that said the other 2 weren't flawless either, but their CGI was that bit better).

As for story - very "true to life" for Spidey, so that's OK.

But, it needed more of the following:
    • sticking to the original story
    • Kirsten Dunst in more rain showers
    • closer attention to the CGI work
    It's not bad, but it's not great at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by Kharn
    Kirsten Dunst in more rain showers
    hear, hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It was ok but not worthy of the money it has made.. though more money for sequel i guess.. hopefully it wont go the way of Batman...

• Advertisement

Batman went downhill when Tim Burton left. The same thing will happen to the spider-man franchise if Sam Raimi leaves.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I have to say i thought it was excellent. Ive been waiting a while for this film, and i was genuinly inpressed by the casting of Maguire and Defoe. OK the cgi was ropey, but the camerawork more than made up for that. Dizzying, vertigo inducing brilliance, no wonder Sam Raimi was picked. It didnt quite stay with the original mythology, but it pretty much stayed close enough to it to satisfy me anyway. Roll on Spiderman 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Quite enjoyable. On the good side: nice move sticking fairly closely to the comic; didn't descend into your average ****e love-story ending where guy rescues girl, girl falls for guy, guy and girl live happily ever after; Kirsten Dunst; Kirsten Dunst in a wet top; left open for a sequel quite nicely.
    On the bad side: what the **** was with that fag0t power-rangers Goblin costume?; CG effects dodgy as YORE MA; bit of sad Yank patriotism ****e, probably added in because of the WTC destruction.

All in all, I wasn't that bothered about the movie before I watched it, but I'm glad I did get round to it. I'll probably go to see it in the cinema soon if I can get round to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

thoroughly enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The bit with Dafoe talking to himself in the mirror was very very very Raimi.

Evil Dead 2 anyone? :)
    All we needed was a talking deer head and we'd be all set.
    Campbell was the man. AFAIK Raimi said he's going to be in the second one too (bigger part hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

what the **** was with that fag0t power-rangers Goblin costume?

Thats the best description of the crappy costume yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

i managed to stop myself from downloading it on kaZaa. I was even given it on dvd the other day, managed to stop myself from watching it again. (whats the story with all the rips?)

I realy can't wait to see it on the big screen. I'm very excited about all the good vibes you people sending out about it.

...as good as batman :) Cool, Batmans my favourite film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement