Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good CD -> MP3 Ripper

• 08-06-2002 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good proggie for ripping CD's.

The proggie I've always used is MP3 workshop but it doesn't seem to be working on XP for some reason.

I recently downloaded MusicMatch 7 and after installing/reinstalling numerous times it still keeps crashing on me- I think it may be having probs with the dvd/cdrw combo on my laptop.

Basically I want something that will create ID3 tags etc. and is not cumbersome to use- and importantly has CDDB/Gracenote look up.

Any help appreciated,

David/80p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Many of them that know swear by Audiograbber with the LAME encoder as a backend.

Lazy boy here likes Audiocatalyst but the other suggestion does give better sound quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bought Audiograbber about 18 months ago and never looked back. Easy to use, and it has FreeDB support (changed last year from CDDB because CDDB were looking for license fees - FreeDB is easily as good, if not better)

Full ID3 v1 and v2 support, support for multiple codecs and full control over MP3 filenames.

One nice little feature is the ability to capitalise tracknames (its a big pain in the a$$ to retrieve data from FreeDB only to find all tracks in lower case - one click in audiograbber will capitalise the first letter of each word - very handy !!)

Anyway, there is demo available (it will only allow you to rip some tracks from each CD). Buy it for $20 to unlock all tracks.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.... oh, and it works perfectly in XP !!!

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Personally, I love CDex. Extremely fast and produces great sound quality in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thanks Chaps.

I d/l Audiograbber and its doing the trick nicely :). 'Tis my new client!!

--
    BTW Orange Rhino,
    I used CDex as well but it has problems with some "old" cd's. ATM, I'm putting some old stuff onto my HD, like ...And Justice for All by Metallica. I bought that Cd in 1989 and it doesn't seem to recognise it and it keeps giving stuttered output- also a Gn'R CD from 1990- and theres not a scratch on it. Apart from that CDex is a does a nice job. Personally Mp3 workshop is great but doesn't seem to work for me anymore !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Great program, just make sure you're using LAME as the encoder and not the one that's built in. If you're not already then use the EXE instead of the DLL, just set it as the external encoder and use summat like this command line for excellent quality withouth being too big(Just a small variation on the one recommended by www.r3mix.net)

%s %d --nspsytune --vbr-mtrh -V0 -q0 -b128 --lowpass 19.7 --athtype 3 -Z -X0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

For ripping scratched/damaged CD's, you should use Exact Audio Copy (exactaudiocopy.de). It has by far the best scratch repair features.

I use EAC and LAME (3.93 with --alt-preset standard) for all my ripping / encoding.

Advertisement