Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaters

Options
  • 08-06-2002 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I am an Attendent outside the LC yesterday (Friday, 7th June) the Superattendant caught a girl with Pages of notes at the end of the exam while collecting the papers. The Super attendant came out and asked me to get the Exam Secretary. NOw my question is what are thier options? Can they just cancal the one exam or do they have to Bar her from all exams or what.

Also I walked her to the toilet She went in and that's all I was told to make sure happened. Nothing can be said to me can it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

as long as you did what you were told to do then they cant no. They will probably ask you some questions tho.
    i imagine she will be allowed to sit the rest of her exams but will prob be strip searched before hand or sommet.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Hah nabbed
    I hope she gets the full punishment, she bloody deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

As fas as I know once you get caught cheating in the Leaving Cert you cannot sit another state exam (incl. your drivers liscence test) for 7 years (could be five, not sure).

Someone also got kicked out of my exam hall the other day during Irish Paper 1 for having a mobile phone while the inspector was there, even though it was turned off. Nothing is going to happen to him I don't think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just what Zyox said, she won't be able to do the rest of her exams, and I don't think she is allowed a passport either.. ?
    About the mobile, the person who got caught with it must of had it showing or in his hand, cause if it was in his pocket, he would have been grand.
    lotsa phones rang during my tests, nothing happened to the people.. they were just to turn it off..

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

our supervisor told us clearly at the beginning that no mobiles were allowed in the hall, either on or off. he let people off with this for first day, cos he only just told us. but after that no mobiles at all.

also the inspector came in and asked about were any mobiles ringing during exams or causing a problem or anything. and i think it was the inspector that kicked him out because the supervisor may have seen phone earlier and mentioned it to inspector.

complicated really, but he was let off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

I think there's a completely different standard of alertness and care shown by the different supervisors...

With our supervisor... he's been allowing us to start each exam about 5 mins early.. as he said it was the only way he could give us extra time... also at two seperate times... he just walked out of the room to go to the bathroom; so we were unsupervised for those 4 mins or so.

That is not mention him falling asleep, with his eyes closed for about 15 mins at a stretch.

Just couldn't ask for a better supervisor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Well we have a horrible examiner. Won't give us 30 seconds more than the official time. Gives out to us like s*** if we are not in the room 15 minutes before the exams starts and makes us put our bag and books out 10 minutes before the exam starts.
    Oh and spends the whole time during the exam walking around and looking at what people are writing, pretty annoying.

I believe cheating in the LC is way more common than people believe. I see loads of people writing cheat notes between exams etc.

Oh heard an interesting statistic that 40% of people cheat in the French LC (le Bac). Could it be as bad here?

Jer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Originally posted by Zyox
    our supervisor told us clearly at the beginning that no mobiles were allowed in the hall, either on or off. he let people off with this for first day, cos he only just told us. but after that no mobiles at all.

also the inspector came in and asked about were any mobiles ringing during exams or causing a problem or anything. and i think it was the inspector that kicked him out because the supervisor may have seen phone earlier and mentioned it to inspector.

complicated really, but he was let off.

I think you have to be caught twice before any of these actions are taken, and the first time you're caught you only have that exam cancelled. I read something about a 2 year ban from sitting state exams as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My supervisor was looking over my shoulder for at least 5 minutes in the English exam, she then picked my exam paper, looked under it then walked off. I assume she was looking for cheat notes or something

I am suprised how easy it would be to cheat though, just leave your notes in your pocket and toddle off to the toilet. Our caretaker had a great time last year trying to find booksand notes that students had hidden in the toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

7 or 10 years is the right number. However it can be changed as the Minister for Education sees fit depending on the severity of the case. See the last page of the exam rules.

BTBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The most common cheat method used today is that with the exam answer booklets. Essentially they are all the same and any number can be found lying around before or after an exam. So the would be cheater takes one of these home with him, and writes all his notes into it. Go`s into the exam about 30mins before and leaves it sitting beside his desk or on it (depends on how sly confident you are). So when the exam starts you can just copy over the notes or have the notes written on the back pages of the answer book and claim them as Rough Work. This has always been the most effective method of cheating in state exams and is exploited with some 3rd level students.

Of course cheating in the LC is pretty stupid thing to do, if you ask me, but you`d be surprised how many do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Hmmmm, I've had my notes for each subject in my pocket throughout all the exams, I'm only after thinking how easy it would have been to go out to the toilet and have a look at them during the exam, probably isn't a good idea to keep them on my person :).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

In the end though, you're only tricking yourself and the people around you.. really dishonest thing to do.
    I think this topic should be locked, it's giving people some ideas and ways of cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The way I see it, if you cheat in an exam that you need to pass to get into college but you wont ever use it there (i.e. Irish) you arent doing any damage to anyone.

Our examiner is pretty cool, lets us use the calculators on phones and all. Though he does make a helluva noise eating his snacks, of which his case is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

I'm very interested in your phone. The ablity to do trig and stat on a phone is impressive. Most phones only do +-*/

What's more impressives is its ability to request data updates from remote sources. In plain English texting others for the answers.

I'm for locking this thread.

BTBB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I never thought about cheating for the whole "your only cheating yourself" argument.

But this weekend was when I was gonna study like mad for business and history. Instead I had to attend a family members funeral down the country now I'm royally screwed!

Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

the guy sitting in front of me accidently left his bag beside him for the full exam and the examiner never say it. It was wide open with books falling it out and he only realised half way through the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

my superviser allowed us to copy eachother. He allowed one guy to get up and walk around looking to the other exams. I was finished early so i left the exam. On the way out he whispered to me to help ur man on the way out. I couldn't belive it lol. So i did.... In my CSPE exam, he came up to me, turned everypage of my exam to find any mistakes, and he corrected me in them as much as he could. He spent a good lot of the time outside of the room, leaving us unsupervised. most of the time in the exam we were talking to eachother. A lot of people were showing their papers to the people behind, he didn't mind. He starts our exam about 1/4 hour early.

He also takes a few of our sweets and drinks also lol

But this was not the LC,it was the JC, i hope i'll have him in the LW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Check ur pm Donal,

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Originally posted by PiE
    The way I see it, if you cheat in an exam that you need to pass to get into college but you wont ever use it there (i.e. Irish) you arent doing any damage to anyone.

Our examiner is pretty cool, lets us use the calculators on phones and all. Though he does make a helluva noise eating his snacks, of which his case is full.
    Try this pie the place in a course you take means that someone else cant get it meaning you cheating has cost them a place in a course that they deserved and you did not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Try this pie the place in a course you take means that someone else cant get it meaning you cheating has cost them a place in a course that they deserved and you did not

The points system isn't very fair anyway, especailly when it comes to not everyone getting in on certain points ( I know lets draw lots !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Originally posted by -=Castaway=-

True...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Also our supervisor said that all bags are to be left at the front of the hall to stop people being "inclined" to look when they are stuck and also even slipping notes into a stocking then going to the toilet and retrieving them is an idea:mad: bloody retarded in my opinion there is 101 ways to cheat and i can guarantee people will and that will **** up the points system for all of us
    Even one guy in my year said he was cheating because he felt the techer strikes last year broke his studying rythmn.

LIKE WHAT ****IN BUL****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by -=Castaway=-

The LC is'nd a fair exam in the first place. Its not a test of inteligance as it claims to be only a test of memory . Wht about ppl with photographic memorys, that do no work and finish above students who work there asses off. Are They more deserving of that college place?

Some kind of appatitude test sould be brought in by the Education board to be sat along side the LC, with joint points. Its the only hope of having a fair system.

I've never cheated and never will, only because it completely goes against my morals. For the courses i'm going for (graphic Design) of which i've already worked in the industry, I've had to go ack and resit my LC simply because the system is so inflexable.
    Is Someone with no creative talent, who has more years of drawing and finds the LC ez (which has nothing to do with GD anyways) more deserving of that place?

I Think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What he said^

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by havok*

The LC is'nd a fair exam in the first place. Its not a test of inteligance as it claims to be only a test of memory . Wht about ppl with photographic memorys, that do no work and finish above students who work there asses off. Are They more deserving of that college place?

Yes.

Example: You are going to have an operation. You have the choice of a doctor who has a photographic memory of relevant medical prodcedures and what to do in case of complications.
    Or you can have one who crammed to pass his exams but has a charming personality and not to mention a wonderful singing voice.

In life, the majority of the time you are tested on the recall of data. Sorry, it sucks but its true. Even in design, the comprehension and regurgitation of large amounts of information is required, though less so then the (deliberately) extreme case I mention above.

Let me tell you a story.
    When I studied Pure Maths in Trinity we had an exam where the lecturer gave you 0 points unless you got the question absolutely perfect. One guy forgot to replace X = 1 with N = 1 in the last line of a three book proof because the question clearly stated "Find the value of N".
    There was war as you might expect and the class complained at the next lecture. The lecturer looked at us coldly while we ranted at him and when we were done he just looked at us and said "You are mathematicians. You are paid to be correct and exact. Close is nothing."
    We complained about demonstrating the general knowledge of the theory and he closed his book and walked out. When he got to the door he turned and said "Tell that to NASA".
    It was the day the Challenger shuttle had blown up killing 7 people.

After the LC, you are in the really real world and while few of you will have jobs where lives depend on you're actions, you will still be judged on results and thats just the way things are.

So yes, if you can regurgitate information you are going to go further then others and rightly so.
    The LC/CAO/Points system is the worst system possible, apart from all the others.
    How else would you have them do it? Any other way will introduce backhanders, favouritism, jobs-for-the-boys etc.

Welcome to the rest of your life.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

this is the only time ive read this forum. I picked a good time to read it :)

Dev is absolutly correct. I had similar experiences in college (though not quite as 'look at your shoes and shuffle a lot' as the challenger example :) ). While doing TV production, if we handed in a project even less than a minute over the deadline, we got 'Nil Point'. We thought it was a stupidly pretty severe rule but since then, ive found real life to be three times as unforgiving.

Bear in mind also that this is the beginning of the end of your work being the be all and end all of your career advancement. From now on (um ok, after college) its all about how you play whatever game you end up in.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Very good point DeVore. However that has nothing got to do with the LC. University is there to help you to get that job in the real world. The Leaving Cert is only there so that you will go that extra step. Therefore I think they shouldn't be as hard on us in the LC. University gives you the chance to get into the jobs you want to get into. The Leaving Cert therefore should not be more important than Univ. If you fail in Univ you don't get the Diploma's/Degrees/Cert's you want. Then you do NOT get that special job you spent 18 years of hell you've been through.

So to make a long story short, It should be left for the Lucturer's to decide. Not some silly person in the Department of Education who over rates the Leaving Cert just to ruin your life and not get you into University where you can actually benefit from some good teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

n1 DeV. Welcome Dusty :D

It's all about perspective. While you're doing the LC, it's not fair, and you shouldn't have to do it, but once you finish you realise there was method in their madness. My course, Science in UCD, had the biggest drop in points in 2000, when I started. Subsequently, we also had the biggest failure/drop-out rate ever 9 months later. OK, Science is a pretty big academic thing, but it also showed us that no matter how good you may be at something, there is almost no-one who will do well in any college course without doing work - just as it happens in the LC. Just as I learned yesterday, you can be brilliant at something and still do crap in the exams. All my life I've done nothing for exams, and sailed through them. Yet I've just fecked up my summer exams for the second time, because I did nothing. I didn't do myself justice in the leaving, because I did nothing. Beleive me, if you're not prepared to do work for your leaving, you're not prepared for college. How did we get OT?? I'm going to do some study now...............:(

Advertisement