Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References on CV

• 08-06-2002 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions on this.If you are
    in a job where things are beginning to look dodgy at best and you want to
    have a look around and send out some cvs,is it a good idea to include a referee on your cv?If the company I am applying to contact my current
    employer,it would be kind of like burning my bridges!I was thinking of
    putting references available on request or something like that - or does that make it look like I have something to hide?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You definately would be burning your bridges! You could easily get fired for that I think.

References available on request is definately the best option, no problem with that, it actually looks a bit more professional in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

always have at least one reference on your cv. always... even if its just a character reference (i.e. not necessarily a previous employer)... make sure its your best reference as well.
    beside that reference put additional references available on request, that way you can give that cv to anybody without having to worry about tailoring your references to suit that particular job (i.e. a programming reference for a programming position etc. etc.)

companies sometimes won't bother going to the trouble of asking you for contact details.. they'll just look at the next persons cv they have, then again references are usually only checked after the interview stage... so if you've got that far grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i would never put a reference on a cv.
    it takes up space and if they want references you can give the people/positions that are most relavant at that time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The best option is the line

References available upon request

Most potential employers will ask for references after the first stage of the interview process or if you are actually in the running for a position. However if you are thinking of leaving a position in a company for them and have worked in few previous places then they usually wont put you in a compromising (sp?) position of asking your current employer for a reference..

best of luck..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

2 schools of thought on this and both widely accepted business practise. The first is putting "references available on request" the second is giving your references and specific instructions not to contact your employer unless an offer of employment is being made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement