Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with a weirdo - how to get rid of him !

Options
  • 08-06-2002 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Right ,

Heres the deal me and my mate live with another mate who we work with , we have been living with him for 4 year's now , the problem with him is that he is a real freak (obsessive complusive, real freaky to females and our friend's) with an average time between showers/baths been a week (sometime much more) and he stink's very bad (people in work keep saying it to us ) because of that the freakyness and smell and that is not even the tip of the iceberg there is too much to tell in just one post.
    Now we just have to get him out of the house plus the fact we are now older and wiser and the smell in the house is beginning to reflect on us (as visitors think it may be us).

We do not know how to go about it - he is really not the chap you can tell him that he has a few problems as he will shun it off then bad-mouth you to friends and work collegues - his name is on the lease so he has an equal right to live there too sort of !!!. what kind of way can we go about solving this because it's effecting our private and personal lifes in everyway .

Cheers !!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Talking to people usually sorts out this kind of problem I find. But don't be judgemental or derogatory in any way just simply point out the facts - why it's not nice to live with this person. Be honest.

Start out by saying that you are all going to have a house meeting. Get the kettle on, at the allotted time, and some biscuits on the table and maybe a notepad and pen just in case. Write out some of the reasons that you are going crazy with in the house and accept his reasons for going crazy with you (he may be annoyed at you). Hell, he may even be dirty and lackadaisical with the living situation because you are being anal about cleanliness (maybe?).

Give us some more info/gossip on what he's like to give us a better understanding of what's going on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

When is the lease up? Is he in the house the same time as the rest of ye?

I totally know where you are coming from with the smell thing. A man with a serious odour problem joined our section in work, when I say this smell was like DEATH I am not exaggerating.
    I kept my mouth shut for months but it actually started depressing me. I then decided to buy a ridiculous amount of air freshners and place them strategically wherever he would roam.
    The smell prevailed, I then had a word with the boss, I never did know was anything said, but a few weeks later the smell lessened.

Its not the same situation, but I can tell you, i was nearly slitting my wrists having to work in that smell, i can imagine what its like living in those conditions

Is there any way you can say it to the guys face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I had a similar problem in the past with a person who wasn't very clean, lived in squalor and was obnoxious to me and everyone else who shared out house. I know what you mean about the mess and the smell reflecting badly on you cos I've been through it. The person I had a problem with knew that they were dirty, untidy and impossible to live with and knew that we were all suffering because of it but they were too lazy to sort themselves out. Everyone in our house has gone their separate ways and we didn't have to deal too severely with this person- we just grinned and bore it knowing that we were moving out. Unfortunately you don't seem to have the option of moving out so the only thing is to sit this weirdo down and bluntly tell him to shape up or get out. Or do you even want to give him a chance? If he's a mate it will be difficult to say things to him regarding his personal hygiene (or lack thereof!!) but he'll thank you in the long run. But he doesn't sound like much of a friend to me as you say he will bad-mouth you to people if you confront him. Let him do that if he wishes to act like a 5 year old- I'm sure most of your friends know what he's like and his bitching will fall on deaf ears.
    Take the direct approach and hopefully it will work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

develop a severe and incurable case of terret syndrome (crappy spelling) or alternatively get a doctors note stating you have developed a condition whereby you cant live with any freaks.

A more realistic solution would be for you and your mate to find another place to live, effectively leaving Mr. OCD up the creek without a paddle. Its what I'd do anyway... Talking to freaks to sort out the problems rarely works (given that they are freaks after all)

Advertisement