Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Blaster Driver needed

• 08-06-2002 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I recently enough got a Sound Blaster Live! from a friend of mine, the problem is that i didnt get a CD/Disk with Drivers and/or software, basically just got the card itself i didnt think this would be a problem until i tried finding drivers for it. tbh im not sure what i need anymore as Creative seem to have confusing names for everything. Some website said that i needed L!veWare for the drivers to work or something. Well anyway im just asking you ppl one question and that is.

Q: Can anyone give me a link to exactly what i need to get my soundcard working? Drivers and any Apps that are neccisary.

Im running Windows 98 not second edition.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ftp://62.189.242.185/pub/creative/drivers/sblive/SBL51_W9xME.exe is the url for sb live 5.1 for 98/98se and ME.

that includes the live ware and everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

THe SBLive has been the most troublesome card to get working for me in ages.

I think mine is a bit damaged, so teh drivers doesn't detect it at all, though the sound plays perfectly.
    Win2k does detect it however, and uses the useless WDM drivers. No EAX enhancements in the game as a result. No surround sound mixer ('Failed to load Plugins')
    The Install pack is just a zip file.
    You can extract it easily enough with winzip.

All in all a bítch. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm. weird syxpack.. t4est it in someone elses machine at the lan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The WDM drivers aren't to blame, they're a lot more efficient than the older MME's, but of course have the usual Creative Tear-Your-Hair-Out 'features'.
    Win2k will load it's own driver for the live too, are you sure you're not using that instead?

If it works but isnt detected/rcognised properly you could try removing it from Dev.Manager, have a look for anything referencing Creative/Sblive in Windows\Inf+WindowsINf\Other and delete it, clearing your CMOS via the motherboard jumper. And maybe move the card to a dif PCI slot (At least temporarily).
    Just what I'd try anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

DaSilva, Livewire is the whole package, drivers, software etc.. you can get standard WDM drivers from creative too if your not interested in the extra features of the card.. but thats a bit of a waste it think.. otherwise you might as well have a chap 128d or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

anyone find creativs europiean site compleate and utter sh!t for dling off ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It is detected properly by Windows, just that the féckin official drivers don' wnat to know about it.

Advertisement