Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to strip down HL paks

• 08-06-2002 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I want to rip out every single thing that is not neccessary to play HL in multiplayer ie all singleplayer maps, sounds, models, anims, texture etc.

Is there a util I can get that'll show what textures a certain map uses? or am I being naieve in my understanding of how maps are compiled?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you put developer 3 on it tells you everything thats happening like when it loads models etc. I don't think multiplayer though uses the pak much. Its pretty much the multiplayer code, the map and the textures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Where'd I get this?

Need to have this done inside a week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Why do you need to strip down the .PAK file?

Taking count of all of the textures that are used in the HLDM maps would be pretty tough, and keep in mind that many of the textures are used in singleplayer AND deathmatch. I don't think there are any HLDM maps included by default that use the Xen texture set, so perhaps you could remove xeno.wad - but halflife.wad would need to stay.

Just in case you haven't got it, heres a link to PakScape - a .PAK file editor:

http://www.game-edit.org/files/index.cgi?file=pakscape-011.zip

What are you doing? You need to give more details on what you're doing and why it requires the stripping down of the pak0.pak... if you're making it HL multiplayer mod, keep in mind you don't need to distribute the original pak0.pak - instead, you can create your own pak0.pak inside a mod directory and put all custom-created material for your mod in there. If you need help with that, I'd be glad to give you more details.

Thats just a guess on your situation though, so you need to provide more info.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

When I made the VAR Mod .pak, I simply copied the pak0 in Valve to the VAR folder and with Pak explorer I stripped down anything and everything I didn't need... Of course, after I put in all the sound files and maps I've made so far the pak was still relatively big... They usually always are, and can be a bitch to reduce in size...

Other than Pak Explorer I can't really point you to any other tools, but get it - You'll be able to see / examine / extract any files you want.

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    When I made the VAR Mod .pak, I simply copied the pak0 in Valve to the VAR folder and with Pak explorer I stripped down anything and everything I didn't need...

Why bother? When I made my HL multiplayer mod I made a new mod folder, and a new .PAK from scratch... less work involved that way in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Did that too but then I realised that I'd be needed quite a few default models, sounds and other things...

I found it quite easy to pinpoint everything I didn't need...

When I made it from scratch I created a sounds, maps, mdeia etc folders and filled them with neccesary files, yet the pak file itself still swelled to the same size as the one I copied over...

It's a strange affair, pak altering...

I wasn't aware you needed to duplicate things from the original HL pack to have a mod work... I had no problems with mine, and all material inside my pack was custom, but there were plenty of sounds, textures etc. used from the original .PAK...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

if you run counter-strke thru the console butoon on the main screen with the command line -dev and then type developer 3 you can see which .mdls the map is using. Other than that you're on your own ;)

Hey i just said that Drake!!

• Advertisement

you said "if you put developer 3 on"

that could mean alot of things :rolleyes:

Ah, Drake demonstrates the fine art of elaboration :cool:

...Rope?

Originally posted by RopeDrink

The RopeDrink Rant (tm) at its finest :p

Ok i'll elaborate more in the future so Drake.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm loking o install the game on an old PC and on th college machines.
    I need HL DM and CS in a really small filesize.
    Large textures can be ripped out, nothing bigger then say 256x256.
    Most of the HL sounds could be ripped too.
    Want to makea really cut down one that'll run on a basic machine at close to 40fps or more at 640x480.

I've allready looked into performance/gfx configs.
    Next step is to make it small and portable (every extra minute spent copying it from the CD to the hard drive in college is another minute wasted when we could be fragging, leeching or drinking.

Advertisement