Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access by Electricity.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

too late :)
    the ESB had looked into that possibility all of 2/3 years ago iirc... apparently their power supply is just too erratic, there was a wee bit of press coverage of it at the time, i'll try and locate a link for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by obewan
    Has anyone seen this storyhttp://www.ssetelecom.co.uk/latestnews/index.asp

The story for 19th March 2002 is the one I'm talking about.

Mick.

This gets discussed every so often and it was tried in the UK on a trial basis ... I believe that they had problems because the transmitted information was being re-transmitted as RF.

The ESB together with Ocean also experimented with the concept some years ago but the cost of the service was far too high to be commercially practical. As far as I remember someone published (on this forum) a letter which they received from the ESB explaining why the project failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 J@ck Chri5tie

I met someone who worked on this (for a leading network company) who said that big english trial was only stopped cause it would cost so much and that technically it works.

JC

Yes but it appears that they are now going ahead with it. It's supposed to start in July. I got this from another forum. when I get more information I'll post it here.

Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

How quickly people forget. It seems like only yesterday that people were wetting thier pants over the esb coming to save us all with cheap broadband :)

this thread has the press release and some factual info about it. Theres other ones with a lot of assumption and projections in the archives too. Feel free to use the search function folks:)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    How quickly people forget. It seems like only yesterday that people were wetting thier pants over the esb coming to save us all with cheap broadband :)

this thread has the press release and some factual info about it. Theres other ones with a lot of assumption and projections in the archives too. Feel free to use the search function folks:)

Obviously judging by the replies in this thread people have not forgotten that this was discussed. (personally I didn't know this)

Arguments were given over the water for NOT using eletricity for Internet Access. My point is that they are now planning to start in July this year.

Also intended as, how yet another way of gaining access(cheaply) to the Net is going to be used in another country, Ireland still buries it's head in the sand!

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

then there was a problem with STREET LIGHTS

and therefore it were stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ah yeah i remember that with the ESB a few years back.. it just faded away and was forgotten...

Here on a different note... www.irishwan.org
    If that was setup and you had a few servers connected to ADSL would it be possible to share that connection with other wan users connected to the server? What i mean is get a server, limit it to say 10 people or less in your area who shares the cost of the ADSL etc... anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Saruman
    Ah yeah i remember that with the ESB a few years back.. it just faded away and was forgotten...

Well, they obviously aren't going to give up in Scotland just yet.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/25649.html Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

someone must have firewalled the lapposts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Saruman
    Here on a different note... www.irishwan.org
    If that was setup and you had a few servers connected to ADSL would it be possible to share that connection with other wan users connected to the server? What i mean is get a server, limit it to say 10 people or less in your area who shares the cost of the ADSL etc... anyone know?
    People will be doing just that with irishwan.. along with many other things. Anything that is possible over a wired LAN or the internet is also possible over irishwan.. works the exact same :)

What I could not post before this evening was this link, so check out the PRICES.

Click Here

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Holy ****ing ****. 15 quid for a 2meg line?

Pld to those scots geezers. Do you know how long this took to set up?

I thought that might get a reaction.

I can say that the following meeting took place this evening so when and if I get more information, I'll post everything here.

I'm getting my info from a friend over there.

(There will be a "Broadband Workshop" at Crieff Learning Centre, Crieff Library, 6 Comrie Street, Crieff on Monday 10th June between 6pm and 9pm.)

Mick.

Advertisement