Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"CDR Error 101"

• 05-08-2001 5:12pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My friend has formatted his computer..
    He is trying to reinstall windows from his Bootdisk, gets into does grand
    When he type "setup" or tries to go to E:\
    he gets this error
    "CDR Error 101"
    "Abort, Retry, Fail?"

Anyone know what that means?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Usually it means that the cd drive is toast, or hopefully in this case that the wrong drivers are loaded in dos for it. If you are using a win98 boot disk( very very few cdroms wont work with its generic cdrom drivers) then its more than likely toast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Well, it's either the CD-ROM drive or the CD itself. I assume you actually have a Windows CD in the drive? smile.gif

Check the CD for deep scratches or marks, if it looks okay then it could very well be your CD-ROM drive. Try a few other CDs in it and see if DOS will read off the Directory Listing.

You can pick up bog-standard CD-ROMs for peanuts these days at any rate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I've tryied two windows 98 Se and one W95
    The CD-ROM was working perfect in windows before it was formatted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

This actually is a message from Big Brother (the Orwellian one, not the consumerist one), which means that he has failed to format his computer and will be sent to Room 101, where his greatest fears await him as torture.

An alternative, but obviously frivolous, view is here:

http://support.tangent.com/general/hardwarefaq.htm

Advertisement