Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abit kt7a-raid problem

• 04-08-2001 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

lo folks im hopin you can help me smile.gif
    I bought a new computer about a month ago (in parts)
    After building it and booting up for the first time i get an error.

The motherboard is the abit kt7a-raid.
    the error is :

CMOS Checksum error- Defaults loaded
    press f1 to continue enter to go to setup

the keyboard wont respond and i have tried re-loading the cmos but nothin has worked

any one have any ides for me??
    cpu is a 1.4ghz t-bird.

thanks for any help/advice.
    Owen

o it also says something like
    Primary master : none

or something like that just b4 the error.
    cheers

[This message has been edited by B-K-DzR (edited 04-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I passed on the question to a few smarty types, here are the answers:

" http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm it lists most of the causes of errors with this board, when you say you have reset the bios have you unpluged the system, reset the jumper (remembering to put it back later) and left it for 10 mins, then pressing the insert key on startup, are the cables to the drives connected right, memory seated ok, cpu seated right, that sort of thing - jumpers set ok on the HD?

"When I boot the BIOS all it says is "BIOS checksum error, press F1 to continue...". What should I do?
    Hit the Delete key to enter BIOS setup and then select the correct CPU type in the SoftMenu III screen.

This has also been reported as an error message when an ISA card has been overclocked or damaged. Try removing any ISA card installed.

Note that companies such as BadFlash exist, who will reprogram your BIOS chip for a modest fee. Alternatively contact Abit directly who again will sell you a new BIOS chip for a similar cost.

To prevent these problems in the future you may wish to consider using a BIOS Saviour." from pauls FAQ"

AND

"bit of a long shot if its a new board, but it might be worth swapping the lithium battery from another mobo and replacing it with yours to see if you still get the error message."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

reload the Bios with jumper, it might be that your bios isn't compatible with a 1.4 tbird, something to do with multiplyer limitations on the board, so if possible underclock it 2 1.2ghz for a while then get a bios update from the net. also the Primary Master: none thing plug separate ide cables to the cd-rom and hd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

If his bios is WW ID upwards then it is compat.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ive tried loading it without anything except for the ram+gfx+cpu attached still get same prob. It wont even let me load the BIOS as keyboard aint responding at all (apart from numlock light tongue.gif )

I dont the jumper thingy when u leave it for 10 mins but it didnt help frown.gif

Neo i underclocked it to 650 ( didnt know u could without goign into BIOS, but some 1 told me to mess with jumpers on the baord and that did it) but same error still unfortunately.

Talked to some one who got same error and he returned his baord and was given a new one. said he was told that it was a BIOS chip error or sommet.

Thanks for help folks.
    ill return it and see what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Artur

Have you checked your jumper settings on your Hard Disk and/or your cd rom also go into Bios and check are the IDE setup to see have you got ny masters/slaves disabled also you will probably have this problem too if you install Win 98 I have a KTZ-A raid board too and an Atlon k7 1ghz chip sometimes Win98 will hang on startup but Ive noticed if you press Enter and some other buttons it seems to wake up Windows!!!

Need your Computer repaired E-Mail me at
    Artur@Ireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Emmm, try swapping your keyboard and mouse connectors on the MoBo. On my KT7A, the BIOS doesn't complain the keyboard and mouse are swapped around, and the only thing that works on the keyboard when I put them the wrong way around was, you guessed it, the NumLock LED.
    Hope it's that simple...
    MK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Just to add to the last post some keyboards and mice come with colour coding on the ps2 connectors which can be bogus my own board has a purple conector but the keyboard conector is orange and my mouse is purple confused you will be smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

hheeh yeah took me a while to figure out the colour code tongue.gif

nothin has worked im afraid and its going back later today.

again thanks for your time smile.gif

Advertisement