Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Active Ireland Launching

• 09-06-2002 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I phoned sky active this morning and they said that sky active will be launching at the end of the month. Does this mean there will be a test channel on soon?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is this like that TIVO/SKY+ smart box thing?

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No. Sky Active is the services like GameStar Pay2Play, email, banking etc. Will look forward to that. It is developed by Nevada Tele.com for Sky. I wonder if Sky Active is sorted before end of month, will E4 BBi work in ROI then for voting, etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i was having a look around SKY Active to see if there was any mention of an Irish launch. I found two hints.

Firstly i you go to the email/messaging section and click on email SKY and pick customer services. You will see the cost of a connection in Ireland is 10cpm. Its around in there somewhere.

Also when you try to connect you get a screen saying ring a number but all it has is a line of x where the number should be.

Hope sky active is lauching. I bet we will see it on channel 998 on the 20th.Thats when we will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

And not before bleedin' time (as we say in Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by irishgeo
    You will see the cost of a connection in Ireland is 10cpm.

Seems a bit steep for just checking your email... (and all the other services of course)

• Advertisement

Maybe its the cost of a connection and then free from then on.its only sending an email.

I am only hoping what i say is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

When our dish was installed, the guy that did it, didn't connect the phone to the box. To do it, I will have to drill through a wall, which I have no intention of doing. Will Sky be so generous as to come back? No-one I know had their phone line connected at time of installation. And again, many of them wouldn't be bothered connecting it.

its in the contract that you signed. they have not enforced it yet nut your supposed to have the phone connected to the box for the first 12 months.

They will be checking i think when Sky Active launches.

I am not bothered though my 12 months are up.

Mine too!!!

Also, remember Eircom subsidised the installations in return for edvertising? Can't see them willing to help this time with them not getting to control interactive use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi ScottB - wasn't it in the Sky contract, that you had to have a telephone point within x number of feet from your Sky digbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My phone line was connected up, I use it to order movies on box office. Although it'll be nice to order dominoes pizza through the TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Does anyone actually care? I have a phone cable into my PC which is beside my digibox in my room... have no intention of putting it anywhere near my digibox.. if i want games or email i will use my PC, thats what its for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Initially when Sky Digital started the free dish and decoder offer here you didn't have to have a phone line connected. However since last June it has been part of the contract.

Most installers will connect the digibox to your phoneline, but some installers here have told us that Sky wont loose a new subscriber if they dont want to connect to the phoneline.

The phone connection will be required for a mirror subscription as Sky will be able to use caller ID to determine if the two boxes are in the same house.

Back to the thread....

I hope that there is not a charge for browsing the active services. I believe that there is/was in the UK and that is one of the main reasons why it has not been a success.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There will be a charge for dialup connection and it would be more expensive than standard PC dialup. There's a fee for checking emails too in UK. Dunno if it's 20p so near it.

Got some bad news , acoording to this email anyway.

Dear Kevin

Thank you for your e-mail about Sky Active in Ireland.

Unfortunately, this service is not currently ready to be launched in
    Ireland. However, Sky are hoping for a launch date in the near future.

Thank you for your continued interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Thomas McCairn
    Viewer Relations

Original Message
    <mailto:kjmcn@oceanfree.net> ]
    Sent: 10 June 2002 00:38
    To: skydigital@sky.com
    Cc: viewerr@bskyb.com
    Subject: Sky Active launch in Ireland

When is Sky Active launching in Ireland. I have heard that it will be the
    end of this month or the start of next month.

I was doing a bit of playing around with Sky Active and when the box tries to connect i got the following message:
    This service will be available in the Republic of Ireland soon. Please call 1890 88 66 88 for more details.

I will give this a call tomorrow.I post how i got on.

I rang them today and the said that a luanch window exists between May and the end of June but no date has been set yet. But when it deos happen it will be announced in a blaze of publicity like everything else Sky.

No blaze of publicity when they take things away though.

Execpt loads of angry irish viewers.

Advertisement