Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Website

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'm sure others will call this spam and berate you for it-
    IMO, you've done a website about yourself you want to show off your wares and your not selling anything...fair enough.

BUT,
    at least put some content up and not have "under construction" and no active links on the menu bar, cos then I might just have to call this the "s" word :)

As per question:
    N/a

--
    PS. a quick going over with the ever simple spell checker might not go astray either:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Fair enough but like i only uploaded it a sec ago and none of the other pages are made yet, kind of tired now, no links will be active till soemother day. And under that send message thing lies php script and noone knows the email address so its fairly easy to change it if i begin to get spams.

i only uploaded it a sec ago and none of the other pages are made yet

OK, but whats the mad rush to let us all know about NOW.
    It reflects worse if people visit an incomplete site. Wait 'til you have it uploaded and then unleash it.

Patience is a virtue, my son ;)

Cool, thanks :) I'll let ye know when its totally done

Ok I'm finished with it now, except for the forum. I'm going to put phpbb there. so now what ye think?

• Advertisement

The design is very neat and well laid out- the general graphic design is minimal and loads fast. The navigation menu is also very well implemented and user friendly.

Recommendations:

I'd advise you to cut back on the amount of personal details you give out on the web. AFAICS, you've provided your home address, phone numbers, D.o.B. etc. It's not advisable to provide these kind of details on the internet, becuase they are open to people abusing them. For your own sake, divulge an email addy at most, and if you do, encode it so those nasty bots wont start spamming you w/ pr0n. etc.

[ English teacher ON]
    Dont forget to re-read what you write and check your grammer. There are a few errors on your news page that jump out at me. I know you are looking mainly for design feedback but dont neglect your content too :)
    [ English teacher OFF]

On your work page, the emerald.ie link is relative not static and needs to be fixed. And there looks to be a PHP error on this page...http://www.xp-users.com/donal/vfriends.html

--
    Overall, good job and keep up the good work :)
    Remember if you keep your content relevant...You'll keep getting hits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Nice site Donal. Real nice, but as 80p said lose a lot of that personal info. It shoudn't be available to every freak in the world to see and possibly use.

Hi There,

Thanks for the feedback, greatly apprciated. I have decided that i will remove that personal info. Thanks for the advice. I only removed my address and i think that should be enough, wouldn't u think?

As for the grammer and spelling mistakes, i just write normally and don't want to fix my errors cause i'm treating it like kind of a daily journal and just to be personal i just write any old way ;)

Fixed the PHP error, forgot that i was using text rather than ingiters, also that email address is just an Alias so can easily be changed :D

Thanks once again.

Thank you too :) Yellum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

It's a nice design but you got to ask yourself who really gives a **** about the content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm. Itsd hard to build your own forums. I did with http://www.bishpacking2002.da.ru . Its a site i built. Its hard to do. I think its the free server im using to host the site, it kinda fecks it up but you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

I've often built forums. I done the one @ http://www.xp-users.com/forum/ one. and the only reason i set up the site is cause i always wanted to have a personal site, since i've made so many kind of businessy sites before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

In fairness Donal you didn`t build the forum did you.

Very nice all the same though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

forum seems straight outta the box to me.

ah i didn't mean build it, ment like i set it up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

heh heh, ah ya everyone has one of them! definitly the nicest i think of the message boards.[ MINE ] tis a bit quiet there but sure it will go mad when the old college starts back again.

Gid.

i`m heading down the php forum road myself, has anyone any ideas on which prodeuct to use(free)

Cheers

PHP/MYSQL = Great Dynamic Site. PHPBB is one hell of a nice forum with nice hacks and themes.

yeah i think phpBB is built into my hosting a/c. So i`ll mes around with that for a while. The thing is that i`m a asp man, and would rather go one way or trhe other and not mix it up. I`m alos gonna do a chat section for my site as well(basic chat)

Any feedback on the work in progress.

www.pcirl.com/new

Cheers

PHP and mysql are both free and opensource, thats the nice thing so 100000s of scripts out there freely distributed. I know what u mean to going from asp to php. Well if i had a choice of going with php or asp i would defintally go with php. Also php is compatible with most servers wherebys i think asp requires crappy MS stuff. Correct me if i'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Doesn`t particularly matter, it would if you were using a free host but if you needed particular script compliance you could just get your hosting to add the code to there global.asa file or whatever.

Just got my forum done.. http://www.donalonline.com/forum/index.php
    nO posts yet though :( wonder if it will ever get active

Advertisement