Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT NI offers unmetered calls to anywhere in Ireland

Options
  • 09-06-2002 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen the ad for this on UTV yet? BT NI are now offering flat rate voice calls to anywhere in Ireland! How are they doing this without any unmetered package from Eircom?

Could Esat be about to do the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

are u sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull
    are u sure?
    I've seen those commercials too. Looks real. £18.50 a month. The small print indicated that the maximum duration of a call is 1 hour but you're free to redial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

2 phonelines, 2 modems, 1 dials eircom.net, one dials your phone number, disconnects you after 45 mins.

Or one dials a uk flatrate no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

are u sure?

Yes Im sure :)

Originally posted by yellum
    2 phonelines, 2 modems, 1 dials eircom.net, one dials your phone number, disconnects you after 45 mins.

Or one dials a uk flatrate no.
    Sounds like a plan.

A business plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

the call has to come over eircoms network dosnt it ...how can they afford to do this if they have to pay eircom rates?

the call has to come over eircoms network dosnt it ...how can they afford to do this if they have to pay eircom rates?
    Probably playing the law of averages.

Normal people (i.e. everyone but yellum) are most unlikely to use the service for internet access. Outside that use, normal people are unlikely to spend the kind of time on a phone call that would pose a problem. They certainly won't be on 24x7. Eircom's interconnect rates might not be flat rate, but they are a small fraction of what we pay per minute for a local call. BT are likely getting enough out of that 18.50 sterling to not only cover the cost but make a decent profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you sure it means the republic??? Ireland up the north is bassically northern Ireland... we are a different country technically even if we are on the same island... same in the UK, when they refer to Ireland they usually mean NI... are you sure it includes the republic? does it specifically say that? I mean if Nolimits was scrapped because of lack of flate rate access agreement then how did BT swing it? Unless they plan to buy eircom... hmm wonders...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

It DOES include the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Hmm... This sounds interesting... Do you guys think it could be on BT's website?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

I am surprised noone has come in here yet to either genuinely prove or disprove this. I find it extremely hard to believe. BT dont have a licence to market telecoms services here in the republic (AFAIK). Therefore, although it might mean that anyone in the North can call the North/South for a flat monthly fee, I am afraid that anyone out there thinking this might indirectly be a way to some sort of flat rate internet access will be sorely disappointed.

Q

Originally posted by Quorthon
    I am surprised noone has come in here yet to either genuinely prove or disprove this.
    The last time I visited BT's web site, I wound up using google to find what I wanted. It's bad. Not as bad as 3com.com, but getting there. And very much out of date. BT have been running TV commercials advertising the service for at least a month and it has been seen by several board members. Is that not proof enough?

The BT offer appears to apply only to Northern Ireland and only residential customers. The UK variant of the offer is available on their web site, offering flat rate national calls within the UK.

http://www.bt.com/together/
    I find it extremely hard to believe.
    It's easier to believe when you understand what they're offering and how it will be used.

They are NOT offering something like No Limits. They can reasonably expect that nobody will be using this service for internet calls - chances are that is explicitly disallowed by the small print of the offer, as it is with many similar BT offers. Why would anyone want to - they have access to cheaper flat-rate options with national carriers.
    I am afraid that anyone out there thinking this might indirectly be a way to some sort of flat rate internet access will be sorely disappointed.
    I think Yellum's suggestion should probably have had a smiley face or two sprinkled on the text. Yes it's unworkable. But it's still damned annoying that two countries now have flat-rate access to Irish ISPs whilst those of us actually in the country are still screwed.

Advertisement