Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My computer is be-jesused any advice

• 06-08-2001 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭

directory names on some machines longer than 255 characters can cause some problems I think. You might also need to retry it a few times - it took me months to sort out an older machine, as defrag and scandisk would stop / lock / crash.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

If your trying to de-frag....
    Go into "safe-mode" when restarting and you'll fly through it. In safe-mode all the unnessecary components will be off and so not delaying the defrag process-

If you restart your computer keep tapping F8 until a boot option appears- then select safe mode and then when it boots up go into the system maintenance folder to start the defrag. (BTW F8 works for me- You may have to use another shortcut-Mines a Gateway)

I think formatting your HDD is a bit drastic and unnessecary. If your having probs w/ defragging this should solve it though.

Any other comments from others though may also help!

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

By any chance could it be this red alert worm? I know that it only affected web servers but I run Personel web server off my computer for testing scripts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Useful info for format:

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/001930.html < thx to Renton.

I have heard defragging in safe mode was way slower?

To defrag properly, press control + alt+ delete and shut off everything except 'explorer' and 'systray'. Then disable screen saver then try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

get a mate who has a zip disk (high-capacity drive). Use winzip to compress all the files you want. A few hundred megabytes won't take as long as you think - I compressed 2 gigs into 1.2 in about 10 mins on full compression. Put this or these .zip files onto zip disk(s)(and Winzip - how else will you unzip them again!!), format your comp, reinstall OS (and Winzip) and hey presto! - you've got a fully working comp, just the way it was. If everything goes right. and you get your hands on a Zip drive.
    Failing the zip thing, get a lend of someones Hard Disk and put your files on that, but if you're not too sure about BIOS manipulation, give it to a nerdy friend to do for you. Whoo...could talk all nite, I'll stop now. There ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ok my mouse and keyboard dont work sometimes and other times they do there isnt a problem with any of the cords that I can see so maybe its a software problem?

Then I try to defragment my hard drive so just before I goto bed I turn off the screen saver start it and turn off the screen, as I'm getting into bed I can hear the computer doing something for a long time so I assume its defragmenting anyway I wake up its still making the sound I turn on the screen to see how far its gone. What do I see its still on 0%

By now I've decided I must re-format my hard drive would this be the best thing to do?

I've never done it before and hang a few hundred megabytes of files and/or programs that I cant afford to delete because I'll have to download again is there anyway to protect a directory from being formatted with the hard drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

all ur files will be deleated if you format sorry . but some program like partition magic is ment to be able to split your hard drive in 2 without lousing your files ( i wouldent trust it but many do )

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

turn off you virus scanner before you defrag.

Advertisement