Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates for ESAT ADSL?

Options
  • 10-06-2002 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I see that Eircom are now advertising ADSL for residential customers, but with prices like the ones on offer, they can't be serious? Will ESAT's be any different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

esats dsl pricing info

Note that theres no caps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Unfortunately no availability in Dublin!!

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Can anyone tell us if they are setting up some sort of cartel with Eircom so not to compete in the same area or what!!

There deal is much better then eircoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

I got totally pissed off with the Map, everywhere I tried to go on it it said....
    Unfortunately service is not available in your area at the moment. However, we will be rolling out the service throughout Ireland over the next twelve months. Please fill in the fields below with some company information and we will be in touch with you when service is available in your area.
    So where is it actually available?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Limerick.
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

the pop-up thingy doesn't even appear when you move your cursor over Dundalk.......

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Can anyone tell us if they are setting up some sort of cartel with Eircom so not to compete in the same area or what!!

There deal is much better then eircoms.

Definitely Esat intend bringing ADSL to Dublin. They are having "problems" if you will but it should arrive. The man in charge of adsl is a neighbour of mine but sadly I can whistle for it coming to my area. Due to not knocking the competetion rules he cannot say Eircom are stalling our roll out but I would imagine that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Will Esat be putting ADSL in Kildare (Naas, Newbridge)? It seems like a bettr service than what Eircom are offering at the moment with no caps, or maybe I'm wrong, could anyone enlighten me? Any help is greatly appreciated.

mfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

My guess is that Eircom gets to pick and choose which exchanges are made available to ESAT. It kind of makes sense if you realise that Eircom actually own the exchanges...

So it also makes sense then that they allow ESAT into less "dense" exchanges out in the country, while they attempt to take the lions share in Dublin... so possibly most of the country will see esat dsl sooner than dublin will?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by Defenistrator
    the pop-up thingy doesn't even appear when you move your cursor over Dundalk.......

all i can say is

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Will Esat be putting ADSL in Kildare (Naas, Newbridge)?

The only people who (should) know are Esat, the ODTR and Eircom, so we're only going on rumour and supposition mostly. Esat have so far signed for ~40 exchanges. I only know four of them for definite.

adam

My guess is that Eircom gets to pick and choose which exchanges are made available to ESAT.

Eircom can only refuse access if there is a valid technical reason, such as lack of space in the exchange or possibly limited backhaul. So in effect, it's the OLO that gets to pick and choose.

We'll have to give the OLO's a little time to get their legs sorted out, but if it becomes apparent that they and Eircom are avoiding each other geographically, I'm confident that IrelandOffline will ask the Competition Authority to investigate a possible cartel.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Good stuff dahmasta..

Ye are all doing a splendid job! Tally Ho!

Lets just hope Esat do something with that Quaker Road exchange soon as I'm raring to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Seemingly that even when they hit Galway half the city won't be able to avail of it as we are on the "Shantallow" exchange which is apparrently too tight for equipment space to do the necessary upgrades.

Ba$tards!!

we are on the "Shantallow" exchange which is apparrently too tight for equipment space to do the necessary upgrades.

I know the feeling all too well. In fact, it's just that wee bit more annoying for me: My exchange was listed of one of five that Esat were to move into in Cork, but it was removed at the last minute, apparently due to lack of space in the cable chamber. I think they did it just to spite me. :)

If anyone from Eircom/Esat is reading this: I'm available to work on an extension at any time. For free!

adam "will work for bandwidth" beecher

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

What I've heard (from various sources) is that Eircom have something along the lines of an exclusive licience to sell to Dublin for the first 12 months from the ADSL launch. Presumably for them to gain market share. After 12 months, Esat will be allowed "compete". Whether this was an agreement with the ODTR during negotiations, or talks between Esat I don't know. So, basically, Eircom are all we have to go with in Dublin for the next year. (I'd love someone to prove me wrong! :D )

EDIT: proove = prove

I find it very hard to believe that Etain Doyle would risk her position by allowing local monopolies a second time. She made a serious error of judgment with the cable franchises - one she has corrected - and she knows it, so doing it again with ADSL would be, frankly, a career killer. That said, she has a responsibilty to ensure that the market is competitive, and gentlemen's agreements don't lend themselves to competition. However, "hearing from sources" isn't enough to warrant a complaint Peter. We would need to talk to these people ourselves, and judge for ourselves. If you think they would be willing to talk to us, feel free to put them in touch.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

So it's by choice that Esat are going to great lengths to make ADSL available to most of Ireland except the most densely populated area? i.e Dublin. Also, a coincidence that eircom are concentrating solely on Dublin, while they own every exchange in the country? I'm not looking to issue any complaints here, just pointing something out.

btw, when I said "I'd love someone to prove me wrong", I wasn't looking for a flame, but daring Esat to offer Dublin an ADSL service and prove me wrong or, I'm right. Win, win situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Limerick... Ballina!?!

Someone from Esat has been at the magic mushrooms. Surely the next most logical rollout after Limerick would have been Cork city or county?

I'm disgusted...

• Advertisement

So it's by choice that Esat are going to great lengths to make ADSL available to most of Ireland except the most densely populated area?

Well, that and the substantial grant aid the Government are giving them. A third of their investment, if I remember correctly. [EDIT: The grant aid is for "rural development", or whatever they call it -- they wouldn't get it if they rolled out in Dublin. Another misguided effort by the Irish Government. They just don't get it.]

Also, a coincidence that eircom are concentrating solely on Dublin, while they own every exchange in the country?

Indeed they do. Now where do over a third of the population live again?

It's never black and white Peter, it's always shades of grey. [EDIT: Like I said, if you have evidence of anti-competitive behaviour by Eircom and the OLO's, hand it over, put people in touch. Without evidence, it'll be an uphill battle we can't win.]

I wasn't looking for a flame

Who's flaming? <adam looks around>

adam

Someone from Esat has been at the magic mushrooms. Surely the next most logical rollout after Limerick would have been Cork city or county?

Especially when you consider that Churchfield in Cork is the biggest exchange in the country. Their logic is... odd...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Logic has never seemed to have a place with this topic, so why should the telcos start now....

Advertisement