Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring Factory Settings?

• 10-06-2002 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Can I do this? I want it to be as it was when I took it out of the box! What problems will this bring for registering Windows XP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Well if you bought your computer from a big manuacture like Dell,Compaq you would have probably received a disc to restore it back to its default way.

You could do a clean reformat (recommended) and start from scratch. But you will have to re-activate windows xp. everything will be ok if you have a valid licence key. All you have to do is go on the internet and you will get the activation code, or you could ring microsoft. It wouldn't be too much trouble. You do have 14 days to activate once installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

I got it from Dell, will look for the CD now! So, will I have to move all my songs / documents / etc on to disc? And will all the programs installed after I got it, be gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

If you have no cd:

This is what id do if u had no writer to write the songs/documents on to cd. If you have 2 or more partitions on your system you arn't too bad. Just incase u don't know what i'm on about, a partition is a virual disk. Its a section of your current hard drive. Your hard drive can be split into many partitions. Each is giving a drive letter, C:,D:,E: etc. So if you have one more, move all the files that you have on C over to D or which ever letter, Format C and then move them back or they can stay if they want.

Or if you just have one big C: drive, you can get Parition Magic. This will allow you to resize your partition. So say u got a 40GB C, you can make a new drive 2GB and have 38 on The C. Then you can move all the files to the D: which would be the letter giving to your new drive.

Ok a bit risky i know.

Yes your programs will all be gone on a reformat of the c drive. You can't back up a program because it needs the registery entrys and all from the registey. This registery will be gone after a reformat. U could move the reg settings over, but that takes like A PILE of time and fairly advanced knowledge.

As for the CD i dont' think the programs will stay, you will have to probably install them again

Hope this helps u our a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

simple if u cant find the cd ring dell tell them u have probloms and lost the restoration cd and ask them to send you one out in the post should be with u within 3 days

Rang DELL Technical, was told:

"we only carry out restoration in emergency situations, as it takes two hours to do"

Rang DELL Customer Support, was told:

"the customer must report software missing within 30 days of recieving their PC"

She told me that I could find out how to do a full restore on their support website, but I can't find it. Can someone on these boards tell me how to do it? I don't care if all the programs are uninstalled, I can re-install them again, and my songs and documents are on disc, so can just put them back on to computer.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Exactly what system is it? Someone here might be able to sort you our with a restore disc

(can't be called a warez request as it'll only work with a particular machine anyway so it's useless to anyone else AND there should have been one to start with)

I've a restore disc for an Inspiron 7500.

I received a CD today! Completeluy unexpected. It says ""Reinstallation CD" Windows XP Home Edition" I have other "Reinstallation CD's" for other things. Can someone now tell me what to do?

Advertisement