Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Findind IT employment in IE from 6k miles away

• 10-06-2002 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello All:

Anyone out there have any idea on how to find a job in Ireland (Dublin, Galway, anywhere...) from the US? Any stories of success or failure?

Brief BIO:

I am moving to Ireland (starting out in Galway) on or before Aug 1, 2002 with my wife (Irish Citizen) and son and I am looking and applying for IT jobs all over but i am getting very few responses. My experience level is high (I am a NT/2000 Team Lead for IBM) so I can only assume that the lack of responses is a distance issue. Although I am coming with or without a job it would be nice to get the "scoop" before hitting the ground running.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

See you all soon,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you can check out the sticky thread on jobsites on the net the main work forum page.
    it has a number of good links for jobsites, including some for galway i think.
    youre best bet is to spam the agencies etc and let them know whe you are available for interviews.
    if they dont know when you are coming over they wont bother their arses.
    and keep harrassing them.

what exactly is an NT/2000 team leader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

By any chance are IBM hiring over here? I think they are here but im not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, you have your pick.
    there is probably always work going out in mulhuddhart in their fabs. i used to work out there for 2 years. but 12 hour shifts at day and night no longer appeals to me :)
    then theres the call centre in clonsaugh in blanch. i think they went on days shortly after i left there, but again, do you want to talk to muppets on a phone. that leaves you with their head-quarters in ballsbridge. what they do there i have no idea.
    mostly personnel etc i think.
    best place to check i suppose is their web site for job vacancies.
    internal moves are difficult in IBM.
    when i moved from microelectronics division to the call centre, i actually had to resign and reapply becuase it was 2 different companies. one is IBM ireland the other is IBM international.
    bit of a pain as it meant i lost pensions etc.
    fine if you want to work for a major corp and can handle the message of the day type thing for better working practises :) but i wouldnt rate tham as the best employers ive ever had.
    too many chiefs, not enough indians really......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Well informed tip:
    Stay clear of the Irish recruitment agancies!
    Best chance is to have a look at www.jobserve.com or www.planetrecruit.com and do a search for jobs in Ireland. In general the UK recruitment agancies are miles ahead of the Irish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JasAine

WhiteWashMan: thanks for the info! BTW, NT/2000 Team lead is a Microsoft Server leadership role...basically I lead a team that remotely supports over 200 MS servers in 3 different countries.

Also, IBM is not hiring in Ireland (or anywhere else) right now and I am don't think I want to stay with the Big Corp. jobs for now. I am looking for a smaller, more cohesive team/company situation.

thanks for the links.....I am submitting about 5 applications per day on various sites and have "a few" replies but I have also read many stories about people moving to ireland and finding it much easier to get a job once in country.

I will just keep plugging away and thanks all for your replies.

Also, no dice on the call centre jobs....I want to stay sane!

• Advertisement
Advertisement