Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail POP

Options
  • 10-06-2002 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

In case you did not know, Hotmail will no longer procide the handy POP retrieval option... that sucks as it was one of the main reasons i used hotmail...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

just to clear it up.
    pop is still there, you just have to pay for it.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye, pain in the ass. But you can always use www.web2mail.com instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Just use www.O2.ie

+pop3

+also online checking

+20Mb account!

+fast server!

It MUCH better that hotmail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...stereo_steve (or anyone else who uses it), can you tell me if you can use it to send mail when you're not on a DOL/O2 dialup? I keep getting a "550 We do not relay" message when I try it - am I alone in this?

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I had loads of problems sending emails too. I think the problem is that I am using a different ISP to access the internet than O2/dol. Maybe their mail server checks your ip and makes sure you've dialed up with them?

Anyway I got round the problem by using Ireland on lines settings for sending files and dol for downloading. I dial up with IOL so maybe the settings won't work for you? You can try it anyway. If that doesn't work, just put in the mail server of the ISP you dial up with. It won't make a difference. The recipent will still just see the name and the address you want them to see.

My settings:

Outgoing mail.iol.ie

Incoming pop3.dol.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm getting 550 responce, same settings as you steve.. im on NTL though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by OJ
    I'm getting 550 responce, same settings as you steve.. im on NTL though..
    You should always use the outbound mail server (SMTP server) of the ISP to whom you are currently connected. One or two ISPs in the US disallow sending of messages through their servers if the message doesn't have their own domain in the sender address, but that's a nasty thing to do and AFAIK no European ISPs engage in such practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by longword
    You should always use the outbound mail server (SMTP server) of the ISP to whom you are currently connected. One or two ISPs in the US disallow sending of messages through their servers if the message doesn't have their own domain in the sender address, but that's a nasty thing to do and AFAIK no European ISPs engage in such practices.

Yes, as it's a primary mechanism for spam, I know this should be the case (actually, I think you'll find that a lot of European ISPs - well, Irish ISPs anyway - engage in this practice; for example, mail1.eircom.net got onto a few spam blacklists once or twice and had to implement this to stay off it). However, I was wondering if anyone had gotten around it; especially anyone, like me, who's not connecting through an ISP...

Gadget

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Anyone kno what NTL's is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

smtp.ntlworld.ie port:25

• Advertisement

Thanks Celt ;)

Advertisement