Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions Needed! Insulate my CPU - [large pics (sorry!)]

Options
  • 10-06-2002 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies for posting multiple pics, but its next to impossible to describe these things. Total pics size is under 80k.

At the moment I use closed cell foam (white spongy stuff) and Spray on Insulating Foam from Atlantic. Unfortunately, twice a month the Waterblock has to be removed to dry out the CPU socket. Condensation appears to gather around the "waste space" where the waterblock doesnt touch the P4 cpu. You can see this waste space in the picture as the area around the Artic Silver on the waterblock. The condensation then drips around the cpu and socket.

Ill post two pics, first one is the Waterblock:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Here is a pic of the socket on its own. Around the socket is Spray Foam, which should be white but looks dirty now. If the Spray foam is any higher it stops good contact with the CPU.

The reason I have condensation problems is because the water is chilled to -6 before entering the CPU. I have been trying to change over to 0C water with no antifreeze recently, but thats another story...

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Just wondering do you put insulation inside the zif socket , between motherboard and processor as this might help ease condensation a bit . Still wont solve your problem tho

I do, but the P4 motherboards have small chips inside the ZIF socket square, making padding difficult. I usually put a thin piece of cell foam and some Gel in it.

Its been suggested I remove the Spray Foam and use Silicon instead.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

jesus it looks messy . u overclocked the p4 r somthn ? but anyways silicion always the way to go ... is there nothing it cant do :)

Jeez Mom, I promise Ill clean it up later! :p

Seriously tho, got my new 2.26 P4 today, Ill clean the board up and try out Silicon.

Matt

• Advertisement
Advertisement