Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Widescreen Recording

• 10-06-2002 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

How's it going lads,
    little question about Widescreen recording. I take it everybody has noticed that if you record a 16:9 program off say BBC, the picture does not auto-format itself because apparently that the VCR output from the digibox does not allow the anamorphic signal ( WSS ) to reach your VCR. Only thing about this is that I was recording an X-Files episode on BBC2 last night and the picture DID auto-format itself. I've sometimes noticed that when RTE show a 16:9 anamorphic program ( once-in-a-blue-moon ! ), the picture does auto-format itself to 16:9 when you look at Sky Digital through your Video channel as well as through your RGB Scart channel.
    I was wondering if anyone else has seen this, or if anyone knows if RTE and BBC are using a new type of 16:9 signal.
    Then again it could be yet another glitch with Sky Digital !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

RTE do not broadcast anamorphic 16:9, they do have the odd programme in letterbox 16:9 for example ER. Could it be that your tv auto switches into full widescreen when it detects the black bars on these programmes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smcdermo

RTE DO transmit anamorphic signals every now and then..........
    One paticular morning they showed some old western film like this ( can't remember the name ) and although I don't watch it, they transmit Home and Away and other stuffthis way.
    It's unfortunate that they do not do this with every program...................you're right John R, ER and other ****e is shown in 16:9 letterbox which makes you wonder why they do not transmit them anamorphically...............the black bar removal feature on 16:9 TVs is extremely annoying......

We all want to see that lovely

WIDE

logo that appears on screen with an anamorphic signal........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Cant vouch for the movie but RTÉ do not broadcast Home And Away anamorphically, they only show it in 14:9 letterbox.

I've not seen an anamorphic broadcast on RTÉ, and I've yet to receive a reply from the lazy beggars whether or not they plan to.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smcdermo

You may want to check your TV Glennus............Home and Away only on there a few hours ago in anamorphic WS............granted, the ratio is not exactly what it ought to be, but we are dealing with RTE here !

There always seems to be this kind of confusion with regard to anamorphic transmissions and signals, just like back in the old days of DVD..........................

Just to be clear, what are you referring to as anamorphic widescreen?

I know on analogue RTÉ broadcast a signal with Home And Away so that widescreen TVs will switch to 14:9 zoom if the TV supports it, but that isn't anamorphic widescreen.

Glenn

• Advertisement

Watched Home And Away especially today, and just as I thought - no anamorphic widescreen.

Glenn

Advertisement