Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demo's

Options
  • 10-06-2002 2:04pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right.
    Haven't visited the Board much (if at all) but I've rekindled the passion I once had for QuakeIII once again and wondered if anyone has, or can make, relatively small demo's for me to gander at.
    Basically I wanted to get some insight as to how to become a better Quaker. Having no net connection, I've had to play Nightmare level CTF matches (The only time I've actually played against actual people was on my 56k yonks ago, and at a few Galway LANS - Im sure one or two of you were there, and know how crap I am)

I might muster up a demo and post it, just so you can criticise my style of play which is along the lines of my CS Style (Defensive play, with the shotgun being my most used weapon) - If I ever get remotely good enough, I'll probably try and get myself into a Quake Clan (That is when I get my ISDN - Which gives me a while to practice)

Anyway, anyone got any demo's that can fit on disk when zipped!? I'd like to see the wily ways of Online Quaking once more :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

theres alot of irish demos on ftp.quake.ie/q3.demos.

A good place to look for recent tdm & ctf demos would be www.clanbase.com and if you want some ctf, i suppose you could look at www.torturedsouls.com for some of my clan demos.

I think www.xsreality.com has gone downhill majorly, but they still have a huge amount of demos worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

This is abit off topic, but is there a program that will allow u to play demo's regardless of what version of q3 they where recorded in?
    I've a stock plie of over 200 older demo's i cant watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Most 1v1 demos are around 900kb zipped I think, so they'll fit on a floppy. 1v1 demos are good to watch when you're starting off, to get a feel for the aim and the movement and the armour-hogging tactics. Nightmare CTF is a good way to improve until you get ISDN, just try and master the movement like they have in the demos, and your aim will improve the more you play.

Anyway, i look forward to seeing you rape Vincent on t4, although it would probably take a few hours for you get that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

aye although it would take a few hours less to beat killy

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Lovely stuff...

Im not overly bad at Quake, but thats when it comes to bots...

I've seen some fancy stuff being pulled off in Q3 at the Galway LAN, and it wasn't by bots at all, hence me wanting to see a few demos and catch up on a few skills I lack.

Didn't bring any disks with me at the moment, but I'll try and nab a few demos tommorow...

I could get a demo of me in a Nightmare CTF fight if you want to be bored ****less of watching me whore the Shotty in the flagroom as Flisk, pressing the taunt button everytime I get a frag...

Cheers for the links!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Theres a lan in ul limerick on the 21st-23rd which will primarily be a Q3 lan if ure interested, you'll learn alot there in a short space of time, details up on room101.org

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Limerick!? Don't think so....

Im already preparing myself for the upcoming Galway Lan 3, and the next Boards.ie drinkies session, so I think those two events will be more than enough to empty my wallet.

Cheers for the invite, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

http://www.cached.net/

Download a few of Zero4's demos and prepare to go: :eek:

Also, http://www.planetquake.com/trickjumper , came in handy for me.

I'd consider myself a bit of a q3 noob, but I have gotten really into it lately.

My Quacker clan, ICO (Ice Cream Oranges :rolleyes: ) are currently recruiting, if yer interested Rope..no pressure. We're simply a mess-about clan looking for more members, and a bit of a larf :).

We'll hopefully be heading to UL lan next weekend, so we'll finally get a taste of what its like to play the real Quaker types! :D

Hmmm...
    Like I said, I have no net connection at the present moment, so QUakeIII clannage is a no no... Then again, even if I was online I already have a CS and TFC clan to accomodate for, thus I probably wouldn't be very active if it came to a third clan, hence I'd be best not to join...

But it's early days, and Im grateful for the offer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

C'mon andy join my clan instead we need more Galway members!! We'd be able to organise the clan easier if we had more ppl in Galway.

Hehe - But how would I play!?
    Without a net conn It'd be pointless, unless you have a few tricks up your sleeve!?

If so, then why not...
    Starting to love Quake, and the nightmare bots seem to be getting easier and easier to kill lately :D;) :rolleyes:

Any information on the clan at all that I can check up on?

I cant wait for the GL because knowing you lot, we'll have some good QuakeIII tourney's and the like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

actually now, i got a new athlon 1800 with geforce 4, im seriously good at quake now but its too much too late. I would own j00 all instead i will post a demo (bots) of a fairly reasonable challenge, say 10 mins on a well known map ie pt4 pdm6 ztn etc against 4-8 bots or whatever and i garunteeeeeeee 40 lg 70 rg 70 rl 30 pl and any other stat u want whilst getting at least 140 frags........ someone name it..........my wrists need the work....and yes, yes i am drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Just wanna say that making demo's v bots is pointless. Showing yourself v bots shows nothing as they are ****, they are **** at dodging and aiming. Dont waste your time making and uploading them as anyone decent wont even look at em.
    Even on nightmare the bots are completly laughable. The only challenge i got froms bots was Xaero on nightmare on his own map but at this stage i can beat him every time, as for the rest there laughable you could beat them 100 - 0 without losing half your hp or ac. So if your gonna make demos make em at LAN,s v other good players so people can learn from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

thats really interesting nemesis... but i'd love to see a demo of you winning 100-0 vs the default nightmare bots on dm17 without losing half your health points. or on any map for that matter...

Erm Nemesis you fail to realise that a player of my limited skill would do well to defeat a rake of Nightmare bots on a map.

Obviously your godlike skills have clouded your mind... Just because you can "beat them 100 - 0 without losing half your hp or ac" doesn't mean everyone else can... I certainly can't.

...and yes, I feel that making demos with bots shows quite a lot actually... It shows little details about the players style of play, his/her aiming, movement etc etc etc

Sod it, I'll get some stuff at the LAN.

:p
    ok maybe 100 - 0 is a bit of an overexaggeration but definatly the range of 10 - 0 or 20 - 0 depending on the map, u want a demo ill make you one, gimme the map and bot u want. Although it is quite difficult to not get fragged on the space maps as avoiding the rail gun is tough. Any other map and i can give ya 20 - 0 just name it. And i didnt mean to sound cocky as i dont think of myself as being a very good q3 player, i was just ephasing the point that uploading demos v bots is quite pointless. (Irinocally to give you the demo as i said above ill have to upload it :p)

Christ, I never asked for tutorials as to "HOW TO KILL A BOT" - I was just looking for demos in general...

Im not here to nit-pick, I'm here to get locations for Q3 demos of Q3 Online goodness (Preferably from someone with a little skill) to learn from.

Bot demos are not useless. I'll send a 10 min FFA to quake.ie of myself against 6-7 hardcore bots on a good map. Just take 10% of every weapon stat to minmick a bunch of humans. Say ztn against doom, visor, uriel, tankjr, anarki and xaero 10 mins mad strafing no timing of armours etc and you'll get 140 frags in 10 mins from yours truly.

Righto didnt go out tonight so produced a demo:
    map: ztn3tourney1
    Stats : 70% rail 42% lg 32 plasma 40ish mg
    Tis good tis 3 megs
    10 mins 124 frags
    6 bots
    no quadamaiste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Rope,

If you are playing bots it's grand to get going but be aware that you will have to change your aiming for most guns when you start playing properly on the web. When I first started playing Q3 I was playing bots and after mauling them hopped into a game with normal players and couldnt hit a thing for the simple reason that bots move differently. A good player will dodge 80-90% of your plasma from any kind of a range and certainly won't walk into the placed rockets they way that the bots do. it is a good start tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

here nemesis can you beat anarky on q3tourney4?
    i asked beast and he doesnt think its possible either, i'd love to see a demo of it

ropedrink dont listen to them, bots are good for learning aim, kindof like rapier said, take away 1/3 of the weapon accuracies you get vs a bot, and you have more or less the weapon accuracies youll get in a real game.. eg. if you get 75% rail average on lan vs a bot, youll get about 50% vs a good dodger, and about 60% vs most people
    of course, this assumes when you are aiming, you are treating the bot like a human, and NOT taking ages before each shot waiting for the bot to move into your crosshair, because you know its a bot and its programmed NOT to shoot you instantly when you come out from behind a pillar, unless you shoot at it first (even nightmare xaero)

oh by the way, by "bots" i mean nightmare xaero, dont bother playing hardcore for learning, the lack of tactics cancels out the bots aim on nightmare anyway
    even if you lose against nightmare xaero, youll probably still learn more about aim practicing against it than playing some hardcore bots (ropedrink)

also, dont bother practicing non-hitscan weapons (rocket, plasma, grenade) against bots, like zero said, humans wont walk into these things the way bots do (they will walk into them, but differently)
    dont bother looking at score when playing bots either, its only practice - itll be inconsistent because of the way the q3 bots work (they are much better with the machinegun than with rl or plasma, but when they pick up an rl they still switch to it from machinegun, for some **** reason)

Yer koopa i can make ya a demo of me v anarki, ill try get ya 10 - 0 but no promises. Ill make it tomorrow night.

thanks man,
    dont worry about 10 - 0, itd take some kind of SUPERMAN to get a ten kill win vs anarki on tourney4
    just beating him is enough, i dont think ive ever beaten anarki on q3tourney4 in a 10 min game before (this is actually true as far as i can remember)

dont rush yourself to get a demo out either, getting a demo of the anarki bot losing on t4 is no easy job, my advice to eat only cauliflowers and green leafy vegetables for at least 48 hours beforehand, and try to avoid cumulo-nimbus clouds and strong magnetic fields so as to keep your reactions at their peak until the demo is done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

my sides!!!

AH **** soz Koopa i didnt know u wanted a 10 min demo, i made two first to 10 ones today after work only took 10 mins i played him twice, got warmed up and beat him 10 - 3 and the second time i beat him 10 - 0. Both matches are on same demo one after an other Ill make u a 10 min one tomorrow if i get the chance as for this one do u want it uploaded???

you beat anarki on only one days notice??!

hmm i dunno, basically i reckon you must be on speed, no human could beat anarki 10-0 on tourney4 without using drugs

were you on any performance enhancing drugs of any sort at or before the night in question?
    we'd have to take a urine sample im afraid, and have you under observation to be really sure you werent using drugs..
    and also a stool sample

ok, you can send your urine and stool samples to us at:

68 Carrigmore,
    Carrigaline
    Co.Cork

where it will undergo extensive testing to determine whether or not you used performance enhancing drugs on the night in question,
    we will use radioactive carbon dating and dna sampling to verify your stool sample was from tonight, and dont even try to cheat by giving us someone else's stool samples etc. , we will get your dna via a hair and skin sample at the next lan
    we will refund postage and packaging costs once we are finished testing

i await your stool sample

• Advertisement

lol :p
    If you dont believe i beat him 10 - 0 ill upload the demo, it'll be up by tonight or tomorrow. tbh i can beat him 10 - 0 nearly everytime i play him. I dont find him a challenge.
    And btw Koopa i didnt mean anything by my post in the #1 in ireland section i just honestly think i could content for that spot. Yer i was pissed when i posted it that night and i didnt mean i could hammer anyone but i do think i could give anyone i seen in those demos a run. Sorry for sounding like a twat!

Advertisement