Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virginity

Options
  • 10-06-2002 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK here is the thing, im not too bothered by this but would like to know.

Im 22, pretty good looking im told but im still a virgin. Now this is by choice mind you, i have not met anyone i would be interested in sleeping with. Firstly no im not gay and secondly i am male.

So without smart comments what are your thoughts? Brittany Spears claims to be a Virgin though dont know if i can believe that. Anyway i dont see anythign wrong with that and i dont have a huge need to go out and get laid though i am curious about what im missing.

Its not that i could not have sex, thats easy at the very least all you need is a bit of money, so its by choice. I think its like this, i see sex as a means of procreation and im not interested in being a dad just yet and there are other things to do with a woman than penetration!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Great news mate, keep your virginity for the right time, I find that very honourable :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bout the same here, i'm 19 and still a virgin, and despite all the stick I get from my friends (edited due to named party acting like a two year old) I like it. I'm in no big rush to "get my hole" as it's put.
    *shrug*
    it just isn't something I find to be incredibly important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I agree with you to a certain extent, im not one of these blokes thats says "i'd die if i didnt ride a burd!" because on the list of things that are important to me sex is not one of them, im not a virgin and to be honest im far from it, but if its fun with a girl you want there are other ways.
    But thats all we have in common, i think everyone should be out there having a good time, but i dont think you can fully understand what having a good time mens to you if you havent tried everything. im a firm beliver in do what makes you happy, if drugs make you happy, do em, if sex makes you happy, do em if driving, drawing, skating ,playing, etc you know what im talking about. I understand that everythings not for everyone but i think to know what you like you have to try everything otherwise you only like what youve done.
    Hard to explain how i feel on this subject and you just got the handicapped quick version but it gets the point across.

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Ahh..., so what are you asking exactly...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Anyway i dont see anythign wrong with that and i dont have a huge need to go out and get laid though i am curious about what im missing.

Its not that i could not have sex, thats easy at the very least all you need is a bit of money, so its by choice. I think its like this, i see sex as a means of procreation and im not interested in being a dad just yet and there are other things to do with a woman than penetration!

Well, there you are then. You'd be one of very few men who aren't gagging to go out and lose their virginity, and probably the first I've seen who's knows why, and isn't afraid to admit it. Plyd. I personally don't see sex as solely a procreation tool at all (although ask me in 10 years time), I see it more as a relationship builder (or destroyer), very useful for gauging compatibility. And having a bit 'o fun of course. ;)

Funnily enough though - you think you're horny before you lose your virginity? By God you ain't seen nothing yet :D.

Unreg, I commend you. :)

• Advertisement

And if your not too bothered by it, why go "Unregistered"?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by darthmise
    And if your not too bothered by it, why go "Unregistered"?

Nice to see only one muppet reply to the post.. well done darthmise. Read the post, im not bothered personally about being a virgin or otherwise.

However if someone i know and who knows my username saw it and did not know im a virgin, which coincidently accounts for pretty much everyone alive as im a very private person, well you can imagine what would happen. Would be around all my work mates and friends and so on. no thank you, only looking for oppinions here
    Originally posted by darthmise Ahh..., so what are you asking exactly... [/B]

Agaib read post, i was after non muppet replies as to what people thought and even if there are others out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Are you not interested in seeing whats its like. The days of waiting for the right person are over. At your age you should be out experimenting. What if you meet the right girl and then when you get down to do the dirty deed you realise that you can't for some reason. I'm not saying sleep around but at least if the situation arises go for it.
    Practise makes perfect as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i was after non muppet replies ... etc

OK, calm down - discussion forums, as you know, are for discussing things and finding out facts for example. Not for insulting people ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

personally i dont think it is THAT important anymore..ppl(hollywood) make it out to be this magical event that suddenly turns you into a man....not a quick shag down some dark allyway?
    now i'm not a virgin,but i never thought it was such a big deal loosing it.
    sex is only a big deal when you are not getting it.

• Advertisement

Nice to see only one muppet reply to the post.. well done darthmise. Read the post, im not bothered personally about being a virgin or otherwise.

However if someone i know and who knows my username saw it and did not know im a virgin, which coincidently accounts for pretty much everyone alive as im a very private person, well you can imagine what would happen. Would be around all my work mates and friends and so on. no thank you, only looking for oppinions here

Agaib read post, i was after non muppet replies as to what people thought and even if there are others out there.

Wow, someone has immeadiately jumped on the defensive.
    As far as i could read you made a statement that you were a virgin, and asked us to comment on it?!?

So what if it got around to you rworkmates? Thats my point, you said you weren't bothered by it. You obviously are. Hence you jump on my "non-pat-on-the back" post.

I'm not judging you, hell, if i could get another chance and have given mine to someone else i would, so there you go,

I just don't see what you want from posting this thread?
    Is it to know if there are any other virgins here?

Repeat:
    I am not judging you... relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Well its nice to share feelings with other people 'anonymously'. It makes u feel a lot better to get things of your chest, does really :D

I was about 23/24 when i lost mine.
    Similar story, just didnt happen, didnt really worry me. I had oppertunities, but thought at the time that it wasnt the best thing for me/them.
    When it happened i was glad i waited and i have absolutly no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I look at it this way, if your lifetime you will probably have sex hundreads of times, so why rush it. wheres the problem in waiting.

now im not hung up on this "right person" stuff, chances are your not going to spend you life with this person, and though it may feel like your giving this great gift to someone it isnt.

The importnat is that its not some random bird, that the person means something to you, doesnt have to be your soul mate, but i cant imagine anything worse then the first time being some casual thing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

i waited till i was 22, it was no big deal to me but i did get some major abuse from my mates but that is waht mates or as the saying goes "friends help you move... real friends help you move dead bodies"
    i waited untill i was ready, i ´m happy that i did what i did.
    sex is important it becomes part of who you are so it´s better that you decided when you get rid of your cherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ill take a shot and judge you.

I think your being overly moralistic and have an overinflated view of what your virginity means. Its not some big 'gift' to give someone, its sex. As the bubbles/boston creature said, its something your probably going to do a hell of a lot in your lifetime. Once you do do it, youll wish you were doing it a lot sooner (personal opinion).

You say that you believe that sex is solely for procreation. I agree with you to a certain extent. We are only animals after all. Once you discount religon (please dont start on religon) the only reason we are here is to fuck and fuck like bunnies to propogate the species, this is exacly why its so much fun. Men dont think about sex all the time because they are perverts, its because they are supposed to. Its programmed into our brains. Fortunatly, we as humans have discovered how we can do this and be fairly (but not 100%)certain that it wont lead to actual procreation.

If thats how you feel about sex, then ok, thats how you feel. But its Love that counts, not sex. sex is part of love, not the other way round. You express love in hundreds of ways, not just sex. Remeber that your waiting for an ideal, not a specific woman.

Anyway, flame me for being an insensitve cnut then:)

Im 20 and a virgin and i dont see it to be something to be proud about, i find it very embarassing. I dont choose to be a virgin, its just that im very shy and find it hard to make friends never mind boyfriends. I wish i wasn't, i want to lose it in the right sort of situation, like when im ready but how do i know thats going to come? I could be waiting a lifetime. Im not saying im going to out to a club or pub and pull for the specfic reason of losing my virginity, but if i get the chance to lose it with a guy who is not that special someone then i will. The quicker it happens to be the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

The need to reproduce is the most basic human need after food and drink, nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I certainly don't see anything wrong with being a virgin at your age, but I hope you're not under any illusion that it really means much. Before you lose your virginity, you might see sex as this huge event, possibly a very special and wonderful activity between two people deeply in love (which it can be), possibly a sordid, disgusting affair between two recklessly hedonistic individuals (which it also can be). After you've lost it, you'll tend to think of it as a much less significant thing, sometimes an expression of love, sometimes just a bit of fun.

If you're under the impression that saving your virginity for 'the right person' will make your first time an unforgettably ecstatically wonderful experience, you could be setting yourself up for a big let-down. On the other hand if, as you say, you're not hugely bothered about it, then I agree with the point that there's no reason to rush into anything. It'll happen eventually, no sense in worrying about it.

I'd say the same to the second 'Unregistered' - why do you feel the need to lose your virginity as soon as you possibly can? 20 is not a hugely unusual age to still have your virginity. You know that you will eventually have sex for the first time, why do you need it to happen 'the quicker the better'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

It's refreshing to find so many people not in any hurry. I was 20 when I first had sex and that was largely down to waiting until it 'felt right' that I waited that long (there had been opportunities, but I didn't feel ready). Unfortunately, I got drunk at a party and ended up with this guy I'd only met a few hours before (remembered to take all necessary precautions though, thank god!) and if I could go back and change the way it happened I probably would.

There shouldn't be anything embarrassing about waiting until you feel it's the right time for you. I commend anybody who does this because I sure wish I had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    i am a virgin to. Lets get it on.

No ....really.

Name the time and place!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Unreg, glad to hear that being a virgin doesn't bother you. Personally I don't think it's all that big a deal what age you are when you first sleep with someone ( as long as we're not talking really young) as long as you feel it's the right thing to do and it makes you happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

come to the dark side.....
    get laid.....
    dark...
    side...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

everyones talking about 'the need to reproduce' - get over it, its sex...
    Sure the first time imho should be with someone special, thats why i think a healthy relationship is good to help that fear factor, so you understand each other and are ok with making mistakes n' stuff because lets face it, noones perfect...

Im a strong christain, but not that strong so i think that sex and love should be made on a regular basis on a premarital or a marital status..

Its really up to you people (duh) when you decide to loose your virgenity, but dont leave it too long - the yonger days are the better ones for the lack of sag.. (not that i have a bases for comparison yet:p)

reD.

Originally posted by Wook
    come to the dark side.....
    get laid.....
    dark...
    side...

I like that one wook!

By the way, first unreg here.
    Now ill try and clear something up, i suppose up until recently, lets say oh 5 - 6 months ago i only saw sex as a means of reproducing and also had this oppinion i should wait. Things have started changing which i suppose is the real reason for this post. Where as before i had no real sexual urges i now have some. Im not driven to where i have to go have sex, no where near that but im thinking about it at least. Another reason it took so long is up until i was about 19 or so i was always pretty shy and quiet. Im not that shy now but i am quiet natured and am not into pubs and clubs so its not as easy to meet people for me.

Fact is im not to fussy right now, i have the if i meet someone and it happens i will let it. I will not go out of my way to make it happen though.

By the way i reckon i owe darthmise an apology. Must be a little more of a sensative subject than i thought. Keep the comments going, at least i know im not alone in my oppinion or my virginity for that matter, although one of few i guess!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I lost it quite a while ago (aged 15 - I'm 24 now). TBH, I wouldn't have minded to wait a bit - I think I was a little too young. It's not the be-all and end-all of life! Sex is a good thing and can be a hell of a lot of fun, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Relationships are more important and while sex is bound to be a part of it, it's not a major part!

So, enjoy young man, thy youth and don't worry about a small thing like virginity and "geting your hole" because it's not that important despite what you may think.

Actually, well played for not bowing to pressure and doing it with the wrong person - I think the first time should be with someone special as it makes it easier and more comfortable and more enjoyable. That's not to say it's a monumental occasion - it's a pretty important step to make in life, but it doesn't rank in the top 5 :)

• Advertisement

Actually i take back what i said about wishing i'd waited for someone else.

See the catch 22 about the whole thing is when you treat it as a gift to give to someone.

My first time could have been the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to me, only that i was with the person for almost a year and felt totally relaxed around her.
    But i was completely flacid for the entire 25 seconds it took and i'd say she barely even noticed what happened.

But when i met, what i guess i would call, the love of my life, at least i know i was much better and she enjoyed herslef more, than if i'd waited for her.

Unreg1, how will you feel if the person your decide to be with has loads of experience, will you wish you hadn't waited then?

I don't want to play Devils Advocate here, but i think that if an opportunity arises that you feel comfortable with (not a one night stand) take it. Don't hold it as a "gift" for someone. And don't treat it as something to be held as precious or sacred. It's not, its only sex.
    It's one of the ways we show affection for each other.

Sexual know how or a mind blowing orgasm would be a better gift.

Advertisement