Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rc racing ?

Options
  • 10-06-2002 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Not exactly the right board.. but closest I could find :)

Anyone out there doing rc racing ? I hear that there is a regular meeting at spawell.

I've been looking around, reading up a bit on it. Any irish sites for it ?

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Is it petrol or electric cars your looking for?? I dont know of any sites but as far as I know tey still race in

UCD and St Anne's park (petrol)

and in

marley park (electric)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ere gav ask me aboot it in work tomorrow. this is just a reminder cos i'll forget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

stick it up your bollix

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

shockin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well my information sucked ass anyway :)

but for other ppls perusal:

marks models are the best bet for starting kits..
    electric cars from about the €85 mark.
    petrol i'd warrant are upwards from €150.
    one of the main places they race is in kart city, santry, can't remember off-hand if they would sell them there (been a while since i've been out there).

and i mentioned that it definitely was a sport for verb cos hes a bit of a pussy so would prefer to race 10yr olds whose parents can't afford proper karting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Kart City do sell them. My mate bought one out there it was like £300Ir but ended up costing him way more because of problems that came with it, like the starter cord snapping.
    Also it had to be built from scratch, let me tell you this is a pain in the ass, I built the bloody thing for him, took me ages and I cut my hands to bits.
    After getting it built we took it out, and well the screw that was supposed to hold the throttle was too small (even though I used to specified one). So when we went full throttle the pin popped out and the car went out of control. This meant buying new screws to fit in because we never found the old one.
    Then we flooded the engine a load of times trying to get it to start. Starting it is a pain in the ass, it's really difficult, once you get it going the restarts are easier (like with a lawnmower only the car is harder to start when cold than the lawnmower).
    So we get it cleaned and fixed up, brought it out to Kart City and got the throttle tuned, so it would start properly.
    Then we got it going properly for a while, but the axel bars were too small so when you turned hard they would pop out of postition (this only happened at the front) the wheels would then lock at the car would flip.
    Also we found that the car would do stuff buy itself, like turn for no apparent reason.
    Anyway, if you havent already got one and are thinking of buying one the petrol ones are quite a bit of hassle.
    Our plan is to bring it down to UCD and race it eventually. I dunno if the day will ever come though.
    Oh I think you can buy them ready built. This would save you a lot of trouble.
    Finally, after putting all the effort in, seeing the car go is like magic, all the hard work is worth it. And it's a little flyer when it gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ok thanks for that makaveli. I've been looking at getting the various bits and piece off ebay actually and putting them together. If I'm gonna actually be serious about this then I think putting it together is the best bet, so as to learn as much as possible about it.

Gordon. Ken is a rude fellow that deserves everything he gets up his bollix. Right ken ! ( I'm gonna cream you on friday after your pussy comments.. )

Gav

Advertisement