Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oem or Retail Athlon

Options
  • 10-06-2002 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from the colour, Is there any real difference in quality etc?
    I say this because im waiting for a replacement OEM athlon 2100 XP but i have the option of getting the retail version so im wondering is there a difference.. the retail ones a brown and oem green so is the brown material better quality than the green?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No difference at all. Been using both myself (2 XP1700's one retail, one OEM) exact same. I think they just color them different to prevent OEM's being passed off as full retail (although I can't imagine why any end user would care !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...but wouldn't the warranties be different? Apart from that (assuming that AMD don't supply HSF's with their retail chips like Intel (at least used to) do) they're the same, I think?

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Afaik you don't get a warranty on OEM if your public.
    If your a company you do.
    If you buy OEM from a company you send it back to the company you bought it from.

Colour is only for the differnce of OEM and Retail i suspect as i've never seen a retail Athlon but i hear the hsf with them is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

U also get no support?

Yeah sorry forgot to put that on the list.
    Its at the top of my post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I've heard the retail heatsinks are great. I saw this site where they put them to the test and even with the desk fan turned up full the paper still couldn't get out from underneath them. What more do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 paws

we replaced a dodgy Athlon recently in work with a retail one. The HSF was _far_ quieter than before - my PC has gone from being the most irritating machine in a room full of Macs to the quietest. Even the Mac guys are impressed ;-) However the machine sucks (see my post on scan.co.uk in the retailers ratings thread).

paw

What are the temps like now though?

You can go ultra quiet for a price.

I personally don't mind aslong as its cool and not too loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 paws

TBH I don't know. It's never something I've really considered an issue in there. The BIOS reports around 38 degrees on boot, but I've never checked whether that's on-die or just some random temp sensor on the mainboard. I gave up monitoring temps ages ago with my dual celery since it was never a problem, so I guess that just rubbed off on the Athlon *shrug* The problems might have been temp related before, but now no more random reboots etc. There's still the stuttering, and we've replaced pretty much every component in the machine to try and get rid of it (except the mboard). Anyone got any cool ways of using a dead Athlon CPU...? :)

Don't worry though, I'm not stupid enough to ignore temps when it comes to a new dual Athlon machine :)

paw

Advertisement