Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN and Home Networking

Options
  • 10-06-2002 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

Ok i have ISDN and 2 pc's

My pc has the ISDN eircon box beside it and I have a nice internal Asus TA which works fine and i get billed on the second new chanel of the isdn so the phone bill isnt debated every 2 months. I have another pc in another room and I want it to use the ISDN BUT i want it to use the first chanel which is the existing house telephone numebr - save hastle on the bill

I was thinking i can run some cat5 cable from the second pc to to the eircon isdn box - i recon its about 20 meters, will the signal be ok over 20 -22 meters ?

now then
    when i conenct the cat5 into the second pc slot in the eircon box which chanel of the ISDN will it use :confused:

now then is there an easier way to do all that AND network the pc's ?

this is prolly a messy post to read and il clarify any points on request ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Why dont u just Use the PC beside the ISDN box as a proxy and Network that PC to your Second PC.

Its less complicated and documented in Windows help ;)

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ya thought of that but then my pc would have to be on all the time and the conenction would have to be made on that :confused:

if yes than thats not an option :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

I know this is kinda off topic, but you said you have the Eircom TA Box AND an Asus Internal TA, yes?

I'm upgrading to ISDN and am wondering which TA you consider better, and why? How much was the Asus and where did you get it?

The Eircom one saves hassle, but is expensive, and I hear it's not great for gaming pings.

The Asus could be hassle to get, but is cheaper, and I hear it is excellent for pings...

I'm confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I know someone who was very happy with a trust external USB TA, he just got rid of ISDN though as its too expensive.. Anyway he had no problems and it was pretty fast (as fast as ISDN can be) with the usb TA

Originally posted by TitanFire
    I know this is kinda off topic, but you said you have the Eircom TA Box AND an Asus Internal TA, yes?

I'm upgrading to ISDN and am wondering which TA you consider better, and why? How much was the Asus and where did you get it?

The Eircom one saves hassle, but is expensive, and I hear it's not great for gaming pings.

The Asus could be hassle to get, but is cheaper, and I hear it is excellent for pings...

I'm confused!

ok,
    the eircon box i was refering to is NOT a TA, its just a box that the eircom engineer installs to get to get the isdn to work, this is part of the instalation charge, you still need a TA.

Btw i would not recomend the eircon TA, the asus one is cheaper and better for games anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Ok guys and gals

my advice is forget TA's and save and get an 3COM OfficeConnect ISDN Lan modem, its the dogs whatsits.. i have one and have 4 pc's running from it.. very simple to install (approx 14-17k/sec) on eircom and a little lower on Oceanfree.

As to the 20 metres.. u may be getting into muddy waters as the further away from the box the signal starts to degrade.. approx 12 mtrs is good.

If yah need any help just mail me i will try and answer any questions if i can.

Carnate
    Nuff Said!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

And to answer one of the original questions .. you can connect the ISDN modem to either of the ports on the Eircom box. The number (MSN) it dials out on is set in your ISDN modem configuration/software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

20 metres of cat5 cable won't be a problem.
    1000 is the max using proper termination, but 20 should be fine. What is the problem with it using the other channel of the isdn ?

GAv

ok forget the idea about keeping the chanels seperate we can sort that later

what equipment would i need - without buying an expensive router

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Im confused now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

If you were to go with my suggestion as above stated (Dunno if you want to but as far as i know you may use the PC (that is running as Proxy) as normal i.e On/Off as u wish :)

Equipment Needed:

2 * Ethernet Network cards ( Maybe about 70 Euro For both)
    1 * Crossover UTP CAT5 Cable (Lenght to be determined by you)

Then you will have to Configure both PC's to talk to each other. (Its all in windows help, under Home NEtworking :) )

All in all your looking at about 100 euros altogether.

Instead of getting a Crossover Cable (You can only use 2 PC's with a crossover cable) ... You'll need to buy a Hub, which can be expensive so shop around on the net and In shops.. you can get some nice prices :)

HTH

Originally posted by Mutz
    If you were to go with my suggestion as above stated (Dunno if you want to but as far as i know you may use the PC (that is running as Proxy) as normal i.e On/Off as u wish :)

Equipment Needed:

2 * Ethernet Network cards ( Maybe about 70 Euro For both)
    1 * Crossover UTP CAT5 Cable (Lenght to be determined by you)

Then you will have to Configure both PC's to talk to each other. (Its all in windows help, under Home NEtworking :) )

All in all your looking at about 100 euros altogether.

Instead of getting a Crossover Cable (You can only use 2 PC's with a crossover cable) ... You'll need to buy a Hub, which can be expensive so shop around on the net and In shops.. you can get some nice prices :)

HTH

i can mamage that oke, had them networked already but it dosent work the isdn into place yet - it would be handy if cross overcable would be ok for use from isdn box <-> ta

can one get an adapter from crossover to normal lan cable ?

THere are a few ways you can do this.

1)

You run a cable from the NT1 ( ISDN box on wall ) to your Terminal Adaptor on your pc. You run a proxy/masquerading software on this machine. The other machine connects to the internet via this machine over a network. ( using xover cable or a hub/whatever)

2)

You run CAT5 cable from the NT1 to both machines so as either can dialup independantly.

3)

As in 1, however you use a dedicated hardware router or a linux/bsd machine as a router.

All of the above have been said already, but those are the options.

other bits. you can get network cards for 20 euro in compustore. They ain't great but they do the job.
    An old 486 will run perfectly as the router. You can even get floppy disks that you boot the 486 off and it sorts out all the routing software for you after a small bit of configuration.

Gav

Thanks for all the input lads

The option i think im going to go for is...

both pc's have netowrk cards
    both pc's will have ta's

need to get hub

cable can be interchanged from isdn box <-> hub as its needed

both machined will dial out independently

OK next questrion
    How much should I pay for a hub?
    il need 20mcable and a crimper and some ikkly rj-45 (?) thingies
    hmmmm...

You could just use a crossover cable.
    cheaper than getting a hub. Get two cables. One long cat5 straight wired one and a short cat5 crossover one. Get a cat5 coupler. When you want to use the network, use the crossover plugged into the coupler plugged into the straight cat5. When you want to use the TA, just plug the straight cat5 cable into it.

or.. Get a hub :) maplins and peats do cheap/small 4 or 5 port hubs. In or around 30-40 euro.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

use the crossover cable . you should be sorted but if u want get a switch should cost you about 130 in or around . is the only reason u want 2 isdn ta's just so you can see who is using it on the phone bill ?

a cat 5 coupler sounds like what i need alright - its an adapter for say cat5 straight > cat5 xover ??
    Is the only reason u want 2 isdn ta's just so you can see who is using it on the phone bill ?

that and i dont want pc2 user using my pc1 when they need to get online

The coupler is just a small connector with two CAT5(rj-45) female sockets. It doesn't do anything with the connection.

The point of having it is that you can get a long cat5 straight wired cable and use this for the isdn. Then use a coupler and a small xover cable to connect both pc's to each other. Cheaper than getting a long cat5 straight cable and a long xover cable.

Gav

forgive me if Isaid anything stupid.slighty drunk and stupid trinity keyboards.

Originally posted by Verb
    The coupler is just a small connector with two CAT5(rj-45) female sockets. It doesn't do anything with the connection.

The point of having it is that you can get a long cat5 straight wired cable and use this for the isdn. Then use a coupler and a small xover cable to connect both pc's to each other. Cheaper than getting a long cat5 straight cable and a long xover cable.

Gav

forgive me if Isaid anything stupid.slighty drunk and stupid trinity keyboards.

fantastic
    eaxctly what im looking for :)

now to get me hands on some cable and a drill - making holes into the attic is ok but holes for the rj-45 connecters will be too big too big

i take it i need a crimper then ?

are

Advertisement