Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL meeting UTV Internet - Wednesday

Options
  • 10-06-2002 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Just to confirm that IOFFL have a meeting with UTV Internet in Belfast this coming Wednesday at 2pm.

David.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I hope they're covering your expenses.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

can you please make sure you tell them that all they have to do is complain to the odtr to force flat rate in the republic .... if negotiations fail or are taking to long with eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Good luck the Ireland Offline Team!, If they need any reference of how pissed off people are, just call into boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by ando
    can you please make sure you tell them that all they have to do is complain to the odtr to force flat rate in the republic .... if negotiations fail or are taking to long with eircom.

I was going to suggest exactly the same thing but you got in there before me! :D

If Esat won't put in the complaint someone else is going to have to. I think it would be a good idea to raise this issue with UTV.

Also, tell them that there is a huge demand for flat-rate in the Republic (despite what Eircom say!) and we're all waiting for our knights in shining armour to come along and do something about it. Perhaps UTV could be those knights if they put their mind to it! They would certainly get my custom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry folks, but it's arguable whether a complaint from UTV would do anything, because they don't have a telecommunications licence down here. That said, they're in a valid position to push their network operator, Nevada Tele, into doing it.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Good luck guys, I'm sure we're all backing you :)

On a side-note... If they set up shop here, I'm buying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Sorry folks, but it's arguable whether a complaint from UTV would do anything, because they don't have a telecommunications licence down here. That said, they're in a valid position to push their network operator, Nevada Tele, into doing it.

adam

Yeah adam, that's something I was wondering about. Can an ISP make a request to the ODTR for flat-rate or does it have to come from a telecoms company? If that's the case then we're really f**ked because Esat certainly don't seemed bothered about it and they, realistically, are the only hope we have, unless Nevada can do something about it, as you suggested. However, I wonder would Nevada have the necessary clout to tackle the ODTR about this and force the issue with them or Eircom. I mean, if Esat don't seem to be able (or bothered) to do something and they're the country's second largest teleco and owned by the mighty BT, then what hope do Nevada have?

Thing's continue to look bleak, don't they? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Good luck folks.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

wed june 12?

if so, how did it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

There were no huge surprises at it. However, they have offered assistance in putting weight behind any FRIACO request, as they do not hold a license in the South themselves. I will post a full report as usual, with clearance from UTV to ensure all statements are correct.

They expressed frustration with the current interconnect rates from Eircom. They view the South as a larger market then what they have in the North and want to offer services in it. They have just had a new Internet operations manager appointed and would like to offer their ADSL service here, this will be reviewed by the incoming manager.

They also commented on all the emails they get from people here in relation to their adverts on UTV and in the press here. It frustrates them that they have so much coveage here and cannot offer the same services.

I will as before post a comprehensive report when it is cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

ah n1 dangger. Look forward to reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Dangger

They also commented on all the emails they get from people here in relation to their adverts on UTV and in the press here. It frustrates them that they have so much coveage here and cannot offer the same services.

I was just thinking that watching one of thier commercials the other day. How pissed off must they be with a willing market and no way of offering what they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Can an ISP make a request to the ODTR for flat-rate or does it have to come from a telecoms company?
    The Italian Telecoms regulator, working from the same EU directives as the ODTR, gave equal status to the views of ISPs and OLOs in reaching its decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Xian

The Italian Telecoms regulator, working from the same EU directives as the ODTR, gave equal status to the views of ISPs and OLOs in reaching its decision.
    FYI
    ...to such an extent that in March of this year legislation was passed by the Italian Government to allow ISPs the same wholesale interconnection access as OLOs, in order to prevent the situation we currently have here, where everyone is waiting for one of the few telcos to enable their exchange. The law means that an ISP can stake out a region where OLOs have determined the margins to be too small to support and offer their own retail internet access services there. Do a babelfish on http://www.aiip.it/press20_03_2002.htm

Advertisement