Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles?

Options
  • 10-06-2002 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Whats the story with the with the Beatles. I just want to find out peoples opinions. I think some of there stuff is good but not great, the stuff Lennon and Mcarthy did later is better. My friend allways says without them we wouldent have rock as we know it. I dont have any proof that that isent true so i say. They are like one of the first "computers" like Babbages Calculating Machine, without it we mightent have computers as we know it but we wouldent dream of useing it now. So what do you think are they hip or are they square.:rolleyes:

Are they hip or are they square? 20 votes

Hip
    0% 0 votes
    Square
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i don't really like The Beatles all that much. they did record some songs i liked though but its the solo stuff i prefer much more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ok pal get yourself a copy of Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road or the white album. Then post back.

There solo stuff was ok, nothin great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I used to like them, I think they might have used to have been my favourite band, but that was before I listened to metal. I don't like them much anymore, I find them kind of boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by pcirl.com
    Ok pal get yourself a copy of Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road or the white album. Then post back

i have a friend who plays nothing but The Beatles and a mother who enjoys playing her old LP's and they still do nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The thing about the beatles is that whether you like em or not, they are still the single most important band of the 20th century. They influenced more people than anyone else (with the possible exeception of Elvis/Lieber/Stoller) and set new standards in songwriting, composition and production (with George Martin).
    What you have got to remember is that you are listening to them with almost 40 years of musical evolution in your favour. The fact that so much of thier music still sounds fresh is testament to thier talent.

The beatles are far from my favorite band , theres a lot of music id listen to before id listen to the beatles, but i recognise just how talented they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Someone once said to Ringo, "you're not the best drummer in the world are you?" and Ringo goes "I'm not even the best drummer in The Beatles". A reference to the fact that McCartney did a lot of the drumming.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know, it's funny. Myself and Ed (my housemate) were sitting in the house and he produces some of his Beatles CDs and we have a listen and we got onto a HUGE musical debate (normally, the only music that gets played in the house is my metal CDs). We both agree beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're probably the most important band ever. Some of their music is never going to be surpassed for it's quality - ever.

But some of it was awful cack! :)

Anyway, The Beatles are a great band and love 'em or hate 'em, you have to respect them and give credit where credit's due. Without them there honestly would not be the music industry that we have today (hang on, that might not be a bad thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

just two points for non-believers.

1) rubber soul inspired brian wilson to go and do pet sounds.
    2) the track "tomorrow never knows" on revolver. wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Yeah, fairly true to say they're amazing.
    Rubber Soul and Revolver definitely the first two stops, and then the white album for me.

Not my favorite band of all time, but still the most important band ever. Though Rock and roll's origin could be traced back beyond them, Buddy Holly, and before that Woodie Guthrie.

Best band ever? Yes
    Should've been The Floyd though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Ridiculous poll. It's hip to be square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Or is it square to be hip? ;)

The Beatles are the most important band ever there are no two ways about that :) I can't say I like all their music though. The later stuff is definitely the best, with their influences increasing and them becoming more diverse. The early pop-songs where every other word is love really need to be forgotten though :)

Advertisement