Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot error

• 11-06-2002 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks

When I try to boot up my PC I get the following

Incorrect Ms-Dos version

The following file is missing or corrupted: Command.COM

Type the name of the command Interpreter

I am using windows 95,

I want to install 98 but i cant even get a command prompt, and the boot disk wont work, any ideas, please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

My dad had the same problem. Turned out that he deleted all the files in the root of C:\

Had to reinstall Windows 98 over itself which sorted the problem.

Strange that the boot disk didn't work. How did you create it? Can you try another one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh in what way is the boot disk not working? is it saying "insert boot disk" or "invalid boot disk" or is not saying anything and not booting off it at all? If its the latter it may be set to boot off cdrom and not floppy so in that case change in bios to floppy first.. OR if you have windows 98 2nd edition, boot off the cdrom! all you need is to get to a command prompt with the msdos version you have.. so windows cd or a valid windows 98 bootdisk.. then type "sys c: " (without quotes!!) and all should be well.
    i.e
    a:\>sys c:
    press return and it should say system transferred after a few moments.. should be ok.. usually works anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Doh Saruman, where were you a month ago:)
    I could have just done "sys c: " instead of reinstalling Win98.

O well, you learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

In your BIOS set your CDROM to boot before your hard disk. Stick in Win98SE and bobs yer uncle.

Yeah but make sure you choose to start with cdrom support and not to start windows setup... should get a a:> when it boots that way.. yes i know its the cdrom but dont mind that, its normal.. your floppy will now be b:> if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

could just use the computer ur using to access the net to make a boot disk . then reformat and install

thats true, or make a win98 se bootidsk from the one he is using assuming thats what OS it is... anyway he did say it would not boot from floppy so we are giving him alternatives.. as well as telling him to make sure its set to boot from floppy if thats what he wants to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the win me boot disk works also

but just rembered i had a computer brought into me with the same problom b4 . it turned out that the hdd was fu<ked it wouldnt work but could be read from the bios .

try the hdd in another pc if the bootup sequence works and u still cant do a scan disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Or you could go to Boot disk.com and just download a win98 bootdisk from there

or

you could set your CD-rom to the main bood device, boot into dos on that, booting with CD-rom support, then finding your CD-rom drive......if it was D then it should be D again..... its all to do with the amount of drives you have. if you do dir/w you sould see a list with setup.exe and a directry called win98.

from there go into win98

cd win98

then go

format C:

then once that is done, co back to the root of the CDrom

cd\

then go setup.exe

and your set

While there is nothing better than a good format, i reckon if sys c: works then use it.. if not then format that sucker!
    Oh and if you do use a win ME boot disk do NOT under any circumstances try a sys c: as it absolutly will not work. Fine for a format though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement