Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to overclock

• 06-08-2001 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

i am trying to overclock my gateway G6-450.
    It has a Tabor2 motherboard.
    I change my jumpers on the motherbord to the "configure" setting .As i have no manual i dont know how to set the CPU at the clock rate which i want .
    Any Help?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

What you want to adjust is the FSB (front side bus) speed, this will determine what clock speed the cpu will run at.
    Hopefully you can do this through the BIOS, as trying to do it with jumpers but no mobo manual will be difficult.

Have a look at these sites:

http://bxboards.com/tips.shtml
    http://www.motherboards.org/
    http://www.h-oda.com/

Remember: when overclocking do not push the CPU too far too fast otherwise you run the risk of overheating damage (if your PC becomes unstable, crashes a lot revert to old settings).
    Invest in a better CPU heatsink and fan and leave the case open or get an extra case fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

thanks Samson
    but my problem is i cant change the FSB in my BIOS .I need to get a manual.Does anyone know where i can get this online

Any idea what type of mobo it is ?
    Open the case and have a good look at the board, it might be stamped on it.

yes it is a Tabor2 motherboard.
    it has the intel 440bx chipset

I need your Email address, I have a picture of what I think could be your mobo.
    Post here or mail me: samson@ireland.com

• Advertisement

it is dr_babyeater@hotmail.com

Just mailed you the photo.

Thanks Samson but that is not it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

as far as i know u cant overclock the gateway computers there multi locked . but mail gerry if anyone knows how to do it he will

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elexes:
    as far as i know u cant overclock the gateway computers there multi locked.
    </font>

Not strictly true, although you cannot adjust the clock multiplier you can still play around with the FSB (front side bus) speed for overclocking purposes.

[This message has been edited by Samson (edited 06-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Scrap

i have a "Gateway 500LS" - p3 500mhz, 128mb 100mhz ram -- I dont have a clue what mobo i have or anyting like that.

Im just wondering does any1 know what speed i could overclock it ..safely. And would it be worth overclocking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You could play around with the fsb, but the only way you will be able to do that is with software like softfsb. Neither the jumpers on the board, or the bios will get you anything but 66mhz or 100mhz.

I managed to clock a gateway p2 266 to 320 with softfsb, but I don't think it supports any of the newer gateway boards. Also intel clamped down completely on overclocking, by using clock generators which could run only the standard frequencies.

The only way you will be able to overclock is if the clock generator on your board is supported by softfsb, and it is quite hard to identify the clock generator. It is a small IC, roughly the size of a single memory chip (slightly smaller) with possibly ICS, or winbond written on it.

The bottom line is, it is highly unlikely you will be able overclock your gateway machine at all. If you want a decent, overclockable machine, you buy a custom built machine.

Advertisement