Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAR Mod Interactive Online Point and Click Game (Sounds good, doesn't it?)

• 11-06-2002 3:02pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right you wild pack of animals,
    I've started a new perspective on the VAR Mod, and that is an interactive VAR Mod Flash where you get to play a character trapped within the confines of a VAR Laboratory, trying to escape...

It's all static imagry and a collection of sounds extracted from the mod, yet I've managed to create a six room world so far and I must say it's already quite freaky...

I'll be throwing in characters and items so that it's not just point and click on door. It'll be find objects without being killed and try to unlock your way out of the building.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone would have any spare artwork they feel might be suitable for this flash. So far the locations have been made out of worldcraft (Uncompiled) so despite the lack of lighting etc it still looks rather musty, dark and evil.

Also, I might need some voice characterisation. I've already got a few wav's done for the main character (A wheezy, half naked middle aged bloke who finds himself in a coridoor, lacking memory - It's funny when you read the readme.txt)

anyway, If anyone would like to contribute to this VAR Mod Flash game, please let me know.

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

...or, if your feeling frisky, you could try your hand at mapping locations for me!?

I made six rooms in under an hour - No need to compile or anything. Just make sure you fully stretch the 3d view window, take a snap shot and with Photoshop resize to 800 x 600, sharpen then blur. Save at medium quality.

Im looking for dirty, broken down labs, a possible sewers system and other locations that I'll list if there's enough people interested in helping out.

Ta for your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Im interested. Have you anything i can look at so far to get a better understanding of what you mean. What is Var?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

maybe i can make some locations in [EDIT]VALVE HAMMER TOOL!* [/EDIT] ... after this friday i'm free of 2nd level education for ever!

/me falls over

*not worldcraft anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I could render what you make in Valve Hammer Tool* Drake so it looks even nicer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

not a bad idea RaveN :)

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Nice nice...
    I can show you all at the LAN. With the MP3 put into the flash (And all the sounds / images) the damn thing is over 10 megs!

Im thinking of leaving it on my PC and have it mass ripped and sent to people if they like what they see at the LAN.

As it stands, there are plenty of rooms so far but not any real puzzles yet... Oh, and one fight.

What is VAR you ask?
    VAR is many things, but one thing is for certain, they're all made by me :D

Sorry, didn't quite explain myself too well there...

Those who think they know it all will say that VAR is my CS Clan (Which is mostly true) but it is a CS clan based on a novel I've been working on for sometime now, and VAR happens to be a research organisation experimenting with the possibilities of transerring a living brain into a recently departed corpse in an attempt to kick the dead organs back into life and rejuvenate the dead being back into a second life... Of course, once this was successful they started "Altering" corpses before ressurecting them, causing their research facility to become infested by living dead-humanoid beasts... Thats the basis of the novel (In short) and also the basis of the flash movie (Which is very ervy loosely based on the novel which is called "Acid-Reign")

It's a point and click flash where you start in a room and traverse through each area by clicking on doors / vents etc...

You encounter creatures, people and lots of locked doors :D

I've got a nice collection of rooms done (Which were made in WC uncompiled - PrntScrn - Photoshop and image resize to 800x600) so each room takes me about 10 mins to make, yet it's hard to get them to look ok in uncompiled WC hence I never really put too much effort into the first few rooms)

blah blah blah anyhow, you'll see it at the GL3, and those who don't will have to nab it off someone who did! :D

Still interested!? It has a nice atmosphere for a still game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

still interested, but i wont be at GL3.

Right well basically Im going to keep working on it, and improve it any way I can...

Im currently looking for images to be used, like pieces of paper, keys, corpses, creatures etc so if anyone has any links lying around, please let me know...

Once I've got a demo sized chunk complete Im sure someone out there can nab it from me at either this LAN or one of the next ones and get it to you...

Other than that, Im stuck without a home conn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Ropedrink,

Could you post a picture of the Flash GUI please?, as I'm having a bit of trouble visualising it. It's a point-and-click Flash based game based on a novel you're writing, with a Return of the Living Dead/Half-Life style atmosphere? Sounds funky :)

Also, I'd be interested in helping out in some way; Artwork and 3D stuff.

• Advertisement

There really isn't a GUI as such - Infact there's nothing but images of the room your in. Im thinking of adding a picture of the main character and an inventory type thing, but other than that just picture lots of hallways and dark corridoors created in WC (Uncompiled).

I am happy to say it was tested last night by my best mate, and she really didn't take too kindly to the whispering voice. I am also happy to say that she nearly jumped out of the chair when a certain "Thing" happened. Next time I want to have it tested by someone NOT so squirmish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

RopeDrink,

I'd like to see one of the pictures of the/any room, please?

That whispering voice reminds me of that Black & White feature :)

Magic Monkey - Just picture four walls and a few doors in WC.
    Thats what the rooms are like, but if you want a picture I'll sort something out.

It'd be weird taking a screenshot of a screenshot :eek: but hey, I'll have one for tommorow and I'll post the flash readme.txt

It might make it that much more interesting.

It has been tested by two people, both of witch mentioned the words "Feels... Like... Resident... Evil..."

Can't be a bad thing.
    Will show a select few (lol) what it's all about at the LAN and yez can decide for yourself...

Advertisement