Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rpm or size

• 06-08-2001 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Ian the 30 gig would be better but just a little slower , I have a quantum 30 gig 5400rpm one here and its pretty fast.It entirely depends on the prices tho .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye but i do have to buy 2 of them . so im just thinkin

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

30 gig 5400 if you can wait the extra 1.5ms seek time - u get 10Gs more and its likely to be slightly less noisy. Altho those 1.5ms might come in handy somewhere...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Elexes,

If price is the only thing stopping you getting two 30gig 7200RPM, I think you should shop around some more.
    No matter what price you have got, somebody else nearly always has a better deal.

As a matter of interest what prices have you got for these drives ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Does the seek time reduce with increase in size?

id gor for size, unless your doing benchmarking or a serious gamer/3d srtist/movie editor..etc.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

what ya think i can get a 30 gig 5400 or a 20 gig 7500 ( or is it 74 ) which would be better ?

• Advertisement

40GB IDE (5400rpm) £90.00

ive to get 2 drives . so maby the 40's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Elexes: Where are you getting that from? I'll be buying a 40-gigger shortly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

sounds like Jaguar Computer Systems
    They have 5400 40gb for £90 ex vat
    http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You would probably have to get a fan for the 7500rpm one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Hmm, as far as I knew it was 7400 rpm but then I live in a box so...
    I keep telling him to get the bigger disk - I did say that didnt I - *thinks*
    As for where he's getting the stuff from....ssssh its seecwet! :/

IvAn
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, its up to you, which is more important? Personally I would go for the faster (7200 rpm) drives. The hard drive is the slowest part of your computer, so I believe in having the fastest one you can reasonably afford, at least for a boot drive. If these drives are just going to be used for file storage, and not for an operating system, go for the larger capacity drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually I was going to do the exact same thing. But only 1 x 40GB 5400 drive.

At the moment there is only a 10GB 5400 drive in my machine (how am I surviving, I dunno). I am running Win98SE and want to get another disk to install Win2k. So either way I am going to have an OS on each disk. Is this bad. I would like both OS's to be fast, but then again I'm getting more RAM also. What should I do, and do Jaguar deliver nationwide?

Cheers

;-phobos-)

thx for the re:'s lads ive decided to get 2 40 gigs ( my total hd size will be 126 then smile.gif ) as there not being used as a boot drive just for storage .

Advertisement