Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help help! pc flucked! part 2...

• 08-08-2001 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

very similar to bard's problem, but this time its a NT machine...

symtoms: Turned it on, all black beeps, light on kbd blinks.

beep sequence: long, short, long, short, long, short, short!

any ideas????

compaq deskpro, p11 after that i don't no...
    prior to this the machine was runing slowly, don't no if its related, and his printer stoped working just before the crash.

won't read from floppy so i don't no what to do with it...

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 08-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ok i found this:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">7 Beeps: Virtual mode exception error

Explanation: Virtual mode is one of the different modes that the processor can run in. The system is reporting an error when testing this mode.

Diagnosis: There is a problem related to the processor or motherboard. Note that this doesn't mean that the processor is necessarily dead, since the system won't boot at all with a dead processor
    </font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

had this last week,
    stripped out all my drives, all my card (except graphics) and disconnected all ide cables.
    booted up fine then, just added one thing back at a time and it worked
    not sure what the problem was but it happened when i installed a pci ide controller.
    there you go smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

do you get it with systemboard, 1xstick of ram (if you have 2 or more, swap around) processor and graphics card?

this is the min you need to do post.
    even remove keyboard and mouse.
    if you still get it, then look up the web site for your bios and it should tell you what the post beeps are.
    it sounds like either system board or processor.
    in fact, take of the processor and see if you get the same thing.
    could get interesting smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    do you get it with systemboard, 1xstick of ram (if you have 2 or more, swap around) processor and graphics card?

this is the min you need to do post.
    even remove keyboard and mouse.
    if you still get it, then look up the web site for your bios and it should tell you what the post beeps are.
    it sounds like either system board or processor.
    in fact, take of the processor and see if you get the same thing.
    could get interesting smile.gif
    </font>
    ya i tried it with just the hd, 1 stick of ram n the graphics card... n luck (even disconected the kbd n mouse)

i'm gonna change the graphics card n see what happens, the place i got the info about the '7 beeps' says if u get '8 beeps' it could be the graphics card so i'll let ye no how i get on! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Had the same problem my self on sat with new pc, take out CPU and boot up (dont laugh)without cpu!it worked for me,go into bios and set all to default turn off pc and then follow the procedure wwm said... if after this you have same problem.. time to get new MoBo frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I know you said don't laugh but LOL biggrin.gif
    How can a system boot without the CPU!!
    Are you sure it was a CPU you removed and not a mouldy slice of bread smile.gif

I fixed it! biggrin.gif turns out it was the graphics card, n btw that thing about takeing out the cpu n booting it! what r u smokein matey tongue.gif LOL

did as u suggested but no joy! even tried changeing the ram, but still getin the same sequence of beeps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the boot screen doesn't come on when you turn the comp on, do as whitewashman said, and take everything out (Remember to de-static yourself first though!! thats how i bollixed my last comp) including the graphics card. Replace everything (RAM the right way round & in equal pairs) and put the graphics card/modem/anything else in a different socket, i.e. move them all up or down one. Thats how i solved it.

Failing that, try booting up with bare minimum of parts, 1 HD, graphics card, and 1 RAM chip. If it boots proper then, keep adding the other parts, until it complains, there could be a conflict. However if it doesn't boot up with min parts, your motherboard could be ****ed, or one of your basic parts. Mix n' match until you can be sure your motherboard is wrecked, 'cos they're not cheap!! Hope this helps

Just for some healthy competition for Artur: If you need any home computer repairs or advice then email me: seamustheseagull@hotmail.com

I took out the sound card, nic, fdd, n cdrom, n tryed booting ... same thing.

I think its time to admit defeat frown.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement