Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparing the technical merits of the Athlon and Pentium 4

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

In that Q3 test Im getting 385FPS, which is inline with Gerrys result (if I set the clock to 2.5GHz Im getting 290FPS) but completely out of line with SickBoys (350 on a P41.7)??

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah it did seem a bit high ok. Did you have the sound off? I'll be benching 2 p4 machines, one with pc1066 rdram, the other with ddr in the next week or so, we'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Isn't memory bandwidth a major factor in Q3 performance? RAMBUS is king in this department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

www.tomshardware.com has loads of benchmarks run with Athalons vs P4 allready couldn't you just look there?

Good point bricks, but a lot of people ( not me ) don't believe those benchmarks, because they don't agree with the results.

Anyways, I'm getting 380 fps here on a p4 2.0 @ 2.5 with the rdram running at 1000mhz. Thats with sound switched off, after picking fastest from the system menu. Switching the eye candy in game options off, I get 490 fps.

With everything on, at 1024 * 768 32 bit colour ( high quality setting ) I get 320 fps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Gerry

Are you sure about that 1024x768 score???? I presume you have a GF4 4600, but even then I have never seen a score like that for that resolution on any of the hardware review sites.

Was this with sound disabled? Also, when you selected high quality, did you also select the highest geometric detail and crank the texture slider up to the final notch??

If so, Im sure that score is a world record.

Q

I'm in work now, and it was very late last night :) but I'm reasonably sure everything was at full quality. I'll check when I go home. Sound was switched off, but I had it on for one of the runs and it didn't lower the fps either.. I dunno.
    It is a geforce4 ti 4600 ok yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

hehe I know the feeling :D

Its just that whenever people are playing around with Q3 settings to bench a cpu (typically turning off things like dynamic lights, marks on walls etc) with the lowest graphical detail possible, very often when they simply switch the settings back to "high quality", one or two settings that can influence frame rate enormously get missed. This makes it difficult to compare one system with another.

As a comparison, sharkyextreme recently benched an MSI GF4 4600 on a P4 "b" 2.53ghz, and got 285 fps at high quality with s_initsound 0, and 265 fps on hq "max" ie with high geometry & max texture detail. These were some of the fastest publicised scores I could find on the net for demo 4, so If you can beat them its some achievement!!!!!!

Q

They are using an sis 645dx based board, which is fast, but not as fast as pc1000 rambus.

Yeah, pushing the sliders up full brings fps down to 296, still a good 10% faster though :)

Look out for a full review of the parts in this machine on a new hardware site soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by Gerry
    Look out for a full review of the parts in this machine on a new hardware site soon.

Sounds interesting...

Advertisement